Friday, November 20, 2015

Big Screen Happenings

Nearly eighteen months!  That's how long it's been since I've written anything classic film-related here at They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To. Although I considered abandoning this film blog and converting it to a "life" blog (and did so for three days), in the end, I decided to keep this site devoted to nothing but those great oldie goldie films of yesteryear.



There haven't been a lot of classic film happenings in my life in 2015.  I did manage to catch Double Indemnity on the big screen back in June; it was a wonderful experience, and I'm hopeful that 2016 will bring more such opportunities into my life.

The week after Thanksgiving, for the fourth year in a row, I'll be watching White Christmas on the big screen of Boise's beautiful (and historic) Egyptian Theatre.  Sharing this fun film together is a Christmas tradition for my daughter and me; to be honest, it wouldn't seem like Christmas without Bing, Danny, Rosemary, and Vera-Ellen. She and I used to watch White Christmas from our DVD copy, but ever since 2012, it's been showing at the Egyptian as part of Boise Classic Movies' Christmas film series.


I've recently discovered that Fathom Events is putting on a big screen showing of Roman Holiday November 29th through December 1st.  Given that that adorable film is the one which began my love affair with the classics, I'm pretty sure I'll be in the audience one of those days.  Check HERE to see if it is playing in a theatre in your city.

What about y'all?  What classic films have you been able to catch on the big screen lately?