Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Movies, Part 1

Our family has many "wouldn't seem like Christmas without it" movies.  In case anyone is looking for some holiday season movie suggestions, here is the list of what we enjoy throughout the month of December.




It's a Wonderful Life---this is my all-time favorite Christmas movie.  It has been our Christmas night tradition for about seven years now.  We pretty much know the movie line for line.  (We used to watch the movie a few times during the year, but for the past four years, we have saved it for Christmas night...somehow it makes it more special to reserve it for once-a-year viewing.)




A Christmas Carol---Charles Dickens's timeless classic.  Our favorite is the 70's version with George C. Scott.





Miracle on 34th Street (classic black and white version, with Maureen O'Hara, John Payne, Edmund Gwenn, and Natalie Wood)....Now I am going to be totally honest here and tell you that I really don't like this movie and only tolerate it because it is a must-see for my family.  I know I am marching to the beat of my own drum here because most everyone loves this movie, but it just doesn't do it for me.




Christmas in Connecticut---an adorable 1945 romantic comedy starring Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan.  This is right up near It's a Wonderful Life as my favorite holiday movie.  It is totally charming and delightful.





Holiday Affair---1949 romance starring Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, and Wendell Corey.  It's rather fun seeing Robert Mitchum in a romantic role.




The Bishop's Wife---from 1947, starring Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven.  Cary Grant plays an angel who helps David Niven get back to what is most important.




I'll Be Seeing You---touching 1944 romantic drama starring Ginger Rogers and Joseph Cotten.  I reviewed this film HERE.




It Happened on Fifth Avenue---Heartwarming 1947 flick starring Victor Moore and Don DeFore.  (Reviewed HERE)




White Christmas---such a classic...love the music...love Danny Kaye...love Bing.




Remember the Night---1940 romance starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray.  The first of four pairings between Stanwyck and MacMurray.  I am in the process of reviewing this one...hope to get it up in a day or so.




Christmas Eve---this is a sentimental 1986 TV movie, starring Loretta Young (who aged beautifully!!!) and Trevor Howard.  I reviewed this film HERE.


This is our list of classic Christmas movies.  I'll be back soon with part 2, which will include the more current fare we enjoy during the holiday season.  So what are some of your "wouldn't be Christmas without it" movies?  And what is your absolute favorite Christmas movie?

As always, thanks for sharing!!