Monday, January 30, 2012

Cass Timberlane (3 stars)

Cass Timberlane, from 1947, is a romantic drama starring Spencer Tracy, Lana Turner, and Zachary Scott.  Based on the Sinclair Lewis novel of the same name, this is a film which had been on my radar for a few months.  As I have grown in appreciation for Lana Turner, I have been on the lookout for some of her lesser-known films, and this one sounded interesting to me, so I kept hoping TCM would air it...which they did earlier this month.




Widowed Cass Timberlane (Spencer Tracy) serves as a judge in a small Minnesota town. While Judge Timberlane hobnobs with the high-society folks in his town, he is very much a down-to-earth guy and even has friends "on the other side of the tracks."  One of those friends is Ginny (Lana Turner), a woman several years his junior, whose acquaintance he made when she appeared in his courtroom one day.  The friendship between Ginny and Cass (who is nicknamed Tim by Ginny) soon blossoms into romance.




Despite her initial concerns about their societal differences, Ginny agrees to marry the judge.  Of course, the majority of his high-society friends have a problem with Ginny's lack of breeding, but his friend Brad Criley(Zachary Scott) supports him 100%.

Though Tim lavishes all the love in the world on Ginny, she soon finds herself bored with their small-town life and yearning for excitement and action.  Brad, too, desires that kind of life, and before long, he and Ginny find themselves developing feelings for one another.   Will Ginny leave Tim and seek out a more glamourous life with Brad?  For that matter, does Brad---a playboy---have more than a passing interest in Ginny?  How it all plays out is the balance of the film.




While this is not a spectacular film, I enjoyed it very much.  I found Spencer Tracy and Lana Turner to be a delightful couple.  I thought they had great chemistry together; however, my daughter---who watched the film with me---did not.  It's funny how two people can look at the exact same thing and come away with totally different perceptions.  The film has great lessons about integrity, forgiveness, and the sacredness of marriage.  It is very definitely a solid, 3-star movie, which I highly recommend.

The film is out on DVD, so I think it ought to be fairly easy to track down.  Happy viewing!!