Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lightning Strikes Twice (3 stars)

Lightning Strikes Twice, from 1951, is a suspenseful romantic drama/film noir starring Ruth Roman and Richard Todd.  Despite the fact that I am not overly familiar with either star, when I saw the film's description on the TCM schedule recently, I was intrigued and decided to set my DVR; I was not disappointed.





As the film begins, Richard Trevelyan, henceforth known as Trev (Richard Todd), is about to be executed for the murder of his wife; at the last minute, however, he is given a stay and a new trial.  The re-trial results in a 6/6 indecision, so Trev is freed and, quite secretly, returns to his home, which is near the dude ranch Tumble Moon.

Stage actress Shelley Carnes (Ruth Roman), on the advice of her doctor, is taking a vacation out West and has reservations at the Tumble Moon.  Not being from the area, the only thing she knows of Trevelyan---or the murder case---is what is printed in the local newspaper.

With the ranch being some miles from where the bus left her off, Shelley must drive the remaining distance, and while doing so---on a dark and rainy night---her car gets stuck in the mud of an unpaved road.  Spying a house nearby, Shelley makes her way to the front door and is soon let in by a man---Richard Trevelyan---who is the only person in the house.  After informing Shelley of his identity, Trev lets her know she is welcome to spend the night in the den, which she does.  Though there is a lock on the door, Shelley doesn't use it, allowing Trev to enter the room in the middle of the night, so as to cover her with a blanket.

Though Trev is gone when Shelley wakens in the morning, she cannot help wondering about him.  By the time their paths cross again, Shelley, convinced the man did not kill his wife, longs to help him prove his innocence; Trev, however, tells her to just let it be.  Eventually, Trev and Shelley fall in love and decide to marry; however, on their wedding night, Shelley begins to believe that her husband did, in fact, kill his first wife...a thought that terrifies her and sends her running from him. 

Did Trev really kill his wife?  Was a guilty man mistakenly released from prison?  Does he intend to harm his new wife?  These are the questions that play out in this mildly suspenseful romantic drama.




Lightning Strikes Twice is definitely an interesting, exciting film.  While it isn't a spectacular movie, nor are its stars among my favorites, I, nevertheless, found the film quite enjoyable.  It's one of those films that really keeps you guessing...did he kill his wife?  Is his new wife in danger?  Right up until the very end, you just didn't know.  I've probably only seen Richard Todd in one other film (The Hasty Heart), so I really don't know much about him, but I certainly like him here.  I thought he was very good in his role...and I love his gentle Irish  accent!  I've seen Ruth Roman in only three or four films, so I'm not overly familiar with her either...but I enjoyed here here as well.  I think she and Mr. Todd worked quite well together.

This is, without question, a very solid 3-star film, which I definitely recommend.  Since it is out on DVD, I think it should be fairly easy to track down.

Happy viewing!!