Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Lion (2 stars)

The Lion, from 1962, is an action/adventure film starring William Holden, Trevor Howard, and Capucine, with juvenile actress, Pamela Franklin, in a supporting role.  As a die-hard William Holden fan, I am making it my goal to see as many of his movies as I can, so when I saw that The Lion was making its TCM premiere last night, I excitedly set my DVR.  Alas, I was disappointed; however, I'm not sorry I watched it, and I don't consider it time wasted.  Anytime I have an opportunity to see my beloved Bill Holden in a "new-to-me" film, I consider it time well spent.





Robert Hayward (Holden) and his ex-wife, Christine (Capucine), have been divorced for several years, with Chris having custody of their young daughter, Tina (Pamela Franklin).  While Rob has been living stateside since the divorce, Chris and Tina have been living in Kenya, where Christine's new husband, John Bullit (Trevor Howard), manages a game preserve.  Concerned because of Tina's isolation and her strong attachment to a full-grown lion, Chris requests that Rob make a trip to Africa to judge the situation for himself.

Though Rob at first thinks Tina is bright and well-adjusted, he comes to realize that Chris is right...Tina does, in fact, have an unhealthy attachment to the lion---and he does to her as well, even, in a dramatic moment, choosing Tina over a lioness.  Additionally, Tina is strongly connected to the tribal customs of the local natives, something which greatly concerns her mother.  Rob realizes that Tina needs to be removed from the game preserve and brought to the states to live with him; however, since his connection with his daughter had been severed when she was very young, and she now looks upon Bullit as her father, will Rob be able to convince her to leave Africa and live with him?  Making matters even worse is the fact that Rob violated the natives' tribal laws by saving a man who had been left to die.  And on top of it all is Rob and Chris's realization that they still love each other.  How everything plays out is the balance of the film.





The Lion was filmed entirely on location in East Africa.  William Holden, part-owner in a Kenyan game preserve, had long-wanted to be involved in a film such as this.  Truly, it was his passion, and, in fact, according to Robert Osborne's informational snippets, he is the one who spearheaded the effort to have this film made.  Despite his zeal for the project, though, the film didn't do it for me.  I don't generally do well with animal films...for what are probably obvious reasons.  In this movie, it appeared that Trevor Howard's character was taunting the animals with his vehicle.  Perhaps it was meant to be just playfulness, but it was a turn-off for me.  Also, I didn't feel there was much chemistry between any of the stars---funny because Holden and Capucine were involved with one another at this point in their lives (said Robert Osborne).  I didn't see their off-screen love playing out in the film.

Just because I didn't enjoy this film, though, it doesn't mean others won't love it---especially those with an interest in Africa or safari animals.  (The scenery is stunning, and the animals are completely awesome.) While I don't believe the movie is out on DVD, I am willing to part with my copy.  Given that it was a William Holden film, I assumed I would love it, so I recorded it to disc as I watched it; however, it's not a movie I will ever watch again, so I am happy to send my recorded disc to anyone who wants it.  Please don't hesitate to ask.

Happy viewing!!