Monday, January 02, 2012

My Foolish Heart (4 stars)

My Foolish Heart, from 1949, is a wartime romantic drama starring Dana Andrews and Susan Hayward.  It is very much a tearjerker as well, so I always have the tissue box handy when I watch this one, which I did yesterday in honor of Dana Andrews' birthday.  The film, which is told primarily in flashback, takes place just before and during the early months of World War II.

Eloise Wengler (Hayward), an unhappily married suburban housewife with a bit of a drinking problem, is on the brink of a divorce.  As the film begins, Eloise's college friend, Mary Jane, whom she hasn't seen in years and from whom she parted company under difficult circumstances, pops by for a visit.  After Mary Jane meets Eloise's young daughter, Ramona, the two women have an argument, wherein Eloise threatens to disclose some information to her husband, something Mary Jane begs her not to do.  Prior to disclosing the information, however, Eloise begins a trip down memory lane and finds herself back in November 1941.




At a dance one evening, Eloise meets Walt Dreiser (Dana Andrews), and the two begin a whirlwind romance.  Although Walt originally expects an easy pick-up and is sorely disappointed when Eloise fails to give herself to him, he, nevertheless, continues to see her.  For her part, Eloise is in love with Walt and yearns for him to love her in return.

As war is declared and Walt is drafted into the Army, he and Eloise have to snatch moments together as they can get them.  It is during one of Walt's brief leaves that their relationship becomes more than platonic...an action which will ultimately end in tragedy and change not only Eloise's life, but the life of her friend, Mary Jane, as well.

My Foolish Heart is based on a J.D. Salinger story, and from what I have discovered, Mr. Salinger was none too happy with the outcome.  While I'm sorry that he wasn't satisfied with the screen version of his story, I have to say that, for me, this film totally works.  Since I have never read the original story, it actually matters little to me if the film is faithful to it.  Rather, I see Mr. Salinger's story being one thing and the film being another thing entirely.

Susan Hayward, who is my second favorite actress of all-time, gives her usual stellar performance.  While she was 32 here and perhaps a bit too old to be playing the part of a young, innocent college girl, I think she did a great job.  Even if a trifle too old, she was certainly believable.  Dana Andrews, always a solid and above-average performer, is really great here.  I think the two of them worked well together and had great chemistry.  The story itself is touching and brings alot of tears (two things I like in a movie).  Oh, and Robert Keith portrayed Eloise's father, and I thought he was great as well.  Finally, the theme song (of the same name) is quite beautiful (video below).  All in all, a wonderful, highly recommended 4-star movie.




While I don't believe this film is out on DVD, it is on VHS; plus, it is available on Net Flix instant viewing.  Additionally, TCM airs it periodically.  I hope you get a chance to see this one.

Happy viewing!!