Saturday, January 21, 2012

Tomorrow Is Another Day (4 stars)

Tomorrow Is Another Day, from 1951, is a surprisingly entertaining crime drama/film noir starring Ruth Roman and Steve Cochran.  I caught this on TCM recently, and I must admit, though it sounded interesting, I really wasn't expecting much.  To be quite honest, since I've never heard the film mentioned, and since neither Ruth Roman or Steve Cochran are mega-stars, I figured it would be a typical "B" movie...mildly interesting, but nothing I would ever want to watch again.  In fact, I was so sure it wouldn't be a "keeper" that I watched the film without recording it to disc.  Wow!  Was I in for a surprise!  This is a VERY good movie, far above the average "B" film; in fact, I easily determined that it's one I want to own, so after watching one time, I went back and watched again, recording it to a disc as I did.




As the film begins, Bill Clark (Steve Cochran) is being released from prison after serving an 18-year sentence for murder.  Incarcerated since the age of fifteen, Bill has spent his entire adult life behind bars; he is warned by the warden that things are not going to be easy on the outside, and within hours of his release, he is experiencing the truth of those words.  Duped by a publicity-hungry reporter, Bill soon finds his picture and story plastered across the front page of the newspaper.  Knowing that he must leave town in order to make a fresh start, Bill heads to New York.

Lonely and wanting to meet someone, Bill visits a dance hall, where, for a dime a dance, he makes the acquaintance of taxi dancer, Kathy Higgins (Ruth Roman).  Despite her lack of interest in him, Bill is taken with Kathy and, wanting to spend more time with her, asks her to show him around New York.  Walking her home one evening, Bill comes face to face with Kathy's ex-boyfriend, police officer George Conover.  When Conover gets rough with Kathy, Bill springs to her defense and strikes at the man, he himself receiving a return punch which renders him unconscious for a time.  As Bill lies on the floor motionless, Kathy picks up a gun and shoots Conover, who then, wounded, makes his way from the apartment.

Upon regaining consciousness, Bill is a bit foggy about the events which took place; therefore, when Kathy tells him he shot Conover, he has no reason to doubt her.  It turns out, as Bill discovers in the next day's newspaper, Conover's wound was fatal; knowing his ex-con status will give him little credibility in a self-defense plea, Bill realizes his only chance is to run...and he does so, with Kathy by his side.

Can Bill escape his past?  Can he escape being charged with a second murder?  Does Kathy ever tell him she---not he---pulled the trigger on Conover?  These are the questions that play out in this very interesting, entertaining film.





Tomorrow Is Another Day is a fabulous film noir.  It also features a surprising amount of romance, which I found very touching.  I really liked Steve Cochran's character.  Unlike the sleazy guys he generally plays (Storm Warning, White Heat, The Best Years of Our Lives), Bill Clark was a likeable guy, one I really cared about and rooted for.  I thought Cochran was quite good in the role.  Ruth Roman spends the first 1/3 of the film as a platinum blonde...definitely a look I've never seen on her before.  Her character is a bit rough around the edges, but she has a good heart, and you can't help rooting for her as well.

This film is out on DVD, so I hope you are able to track it down.  It is definitely worth watching.

Happy viewing!!