Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rain (4 stars)

Rain---a 4-star film for me---is a hard-hitting romantic drama from 1932.  Starring Joan Crawford and Walter Huston, this troubling pre-code film takes a disturbing look at some heavy social issues.  It's a film I had never even heard of prior to this month, when I was seeking out Joan Crawford's early works.



When the ship they are traveling on is detained in Pago Pago due to a cholera outbreak, the passengers are forced to spend several days on the South Pacific island.  Among those finding accommodations in the rooms above the town's general store are prostitute Sadie Thompson (Joan Crawford) and Christian missionary Alfred Davidson (Walter Huston) and his wife (Beulah Bondi).  Though they had been together on the ship, their paths hadn't crossed; however, in the confines of the small general store, the three are continually face-to-face with one another...a situation which immediately creates problems.



As Sadie takes up residence in the store, the American servicemen stationed on the island find their way to her room, and that, along with Sadie's loud, music-blaring, provocatively-dressed lifestyle does not sit well with the Davidsons.   When his continual calls for Sadie to repent fall on deaf ears, Arthur requests that the governor deport her and ship her back to San Francisco where she will be imprisoned for a crime she says she did not commit.  Before her deportation, however, Sadie has a radical conversion experience and completely changes her ways; Arthur Davidson, too, has a change of ways and gives in to his lust for Sadie.  How it all plays out is the balance of the film.



Rain is an extremely troubling movie for me.  As a Christian, I am not on the "anything goes" page; there are plenty of  things from which people need to repent (not the least of which is sexual immorality).  I felt that the call for repentance and a turning from immoral behavior was being mocked here.  At the same time, though, I am not one who would ever go up to a perfect stranger and start preaching at them to change their ways (as Huston's character did).  I am fully capable---as are many Christians---of "blowing things off" and just being friendly even if I don't approve of someone's behavior.  Also, Huston and Bondi were portrayed only as self-righteous, religious fanatics.  While I know there is hypocrisy in Christianity, there is also great love---something which was never exhibited in this film.  At one point, Miss Bondi's character said to another woman, "Don't even look at her" (about Sadie), almost as if she would be contaminated by doing so.  Mr. Huston's character wildly chanted the Lord's prayer over and over again, even as Sadie was talking to him...almost as if his chants were drowning out the devil.  These negative aspects of a faith I hold dear made the movie troubling for me.

On the flip side, though, was the acting.  While Joan was harsh and gawdy in this film---and not her beautiful, glamorous self---her acting was terrific.  I think she totally owned the part and brought Sadie vividly to life.




Walter Huston, too, was completely sensational.  The acting of the two of them makes this a 4-star film. Incidentally, Rain was remade as Miss Sadie Thompson in 1953 with Rita Hayworth as Sadie and Jose Ferrer as Alfred Davidson.  I really like Miss Hayworth, so I may end up checking out that version sometime.

Although I found this film to be troubling, it was definitely interesting and completely riveting.  Much as I hated the way the Christian was being portrayed, I couldn't stop watching---I definitely wanted to see how the story turned out.  In my opinion, Rain really is a must-see film...especially for Joan Crawford and Walter Huston fans.  Out on DVD, you should have a fairly easy time tracking it down.  Also, it is available through Net Flix instant viewing and on YouTube (HERE).

Happy viewing!!