Monday, April 15, 2013

Send Me No Flowers (1964)

Regular readers of They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To know that I don't lean much to comedy.  Of my 40 all-time favorite movies, only five of them are comedies---and two of those I would classify more as dramedies than out-and-out comedies.  Despite my usual lack of tolerance for that genre, though, for some reason, the three romantic comedies pairing Doris Day and Rock Hudson quite appeal to me.  In fact, I actually love and 5-star two of them, one of which is 1964's Send Me No Flowers.  Also starring Tony Randall and featuring Paul Lynde and Clint Walker in small roles, Send Me No Flowers is the final of Rock and Doris's three pairings.



A hypochondriac to the max, George Kimball (Rock Hudson) is convinced he is dying. Although he had seen his doctor and had a complete check-up two weeks earlier, he is sure that the pain in his chest means he's on his last legs, so he makes another trip to his doctor's office.  After listening to George's heart, the diagnosis is indigestion, and George is sent home with another bottle of pills, to add to his already-burgeoning medicine cabinet.  At George's previous visit, the doctor had taken a cardiogram, the results of which have not come back yet.  While George is in the restroom, the doctor takes a phone call about one of his other patients---a man who is dying. Overhearing the doctor's side of the conversation, George is certain he is the patient being discussed and that the results of the cardiogram indicate it is he who has only a few weeks to live.


Determining that it would be best to not tell his wife, Judy (Doris Day), the horrible news---lest she go to pieces---George shares the news of his "condition" with neighbor/friend, Arnold (Tony Randall) and then sets out to be sure Judy will be taken care of after his "death."  He purchases cemetery plots, dictates a goodbye message, then attempts to set her up with another man (Clint Walker).  Through a series of misunderstandings, Judy comes to believe that George is actually having an affair with a neighbor lady, and she kicks him out of the house.  When he attempts to explain the situation, Judy doesn't believe a word he says, and George finds himself further in the doghouse.


Does George ever realize that the doctor was talking about another patient and that he really has nothing wrong with him?  Does Judy figure out why George is pushing her into the arms of another man?  Does she believe him when he insists he is not having an affair?  Those are the questions which play out in the remainder of the film.



For a variety of reasons, I find Send Me No Flowers to be a completely delightful film.  For one thing, the chemistry between Rock and Doris is awesome.  I know Rock was gay and that there was never anything more than deep friendship between the two of them, but, boy, they could have fooled anyone.  They are amazing together, and that is part of what makes this film work for me.



Another reason I love the film is that I completely relate to it.  Twenty years ago, I was the kind of hypochondriac George Kimball is.  I was continually convinced that I had every form of cancer there is and that I was going to die before six months was up.  I remember my son's 3rd birthday in November, 1994.  Though I wouldn't be diagnosed for a few more days, I had pneumonia at the time, and I was horribly sick.  I remember crying to my mother-in-law at my son's birthday party, telling her that that was the last of Garrett's birthdays I would ever see.  I was completely and totally convinced I was dying.  AND, my daughter has inherited this propensity to hypochondria, having every form of cancer there is herself.  A black and blue mark, and she's convinced she has leukemia, a headache, and she's convinced it's a brain tumor, etc.  So, as we watch George Kimball obsess about his ailments, my daughter and I howl with laughter, seeing ourselves in the entire situation, thereby making the film even more amusing to us.

Tony Randall, as the Kimball's next-door-neighbor, and Paul Lynde, as the cemetery salesman, are both quite hilarious in their roles.  Doris is her usual perky, lovely self.  She sports some beautiful outfits here, especially her bright green suit.  Rock is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.   And, finally, Doris sings the film's theme song.  All those things combine to make this a film I absolutely love.

Out on DVD, Send Me No Flowers should be quite easy to track down.  If you like Pillow Talk, I'm sure you will enjoy this film as well.  It's a definite 5-star, "love it" film for me, and I highly recommend it.

Happy viewing!!