Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Quiet Man (1952)

Hard as it may be to believe, one of the most beloved of all classic films---1952's The Quiet Man---did not cross my radar until just this past weekend---nearly seven years into my classic film journey. Not a John Wayne fan, I've never made The Quiet Man a priority, despite the fact that nearly everyone who claims to be a classic film fanatic has seen (and loves) this film. Choosing to put my lack of enthusiasm for Mr. Wayne aside, I had always intended to view this film for Maureen O'Hara month; however, when I realized that it was going to be showing on the big screen of Boise's Egyptian Theatre, and introduced by Miss O'Hara herself, I knew that was how I would catch it for the first time.  Wow, what an amazing first-time experience it was---big screen, vintage theatre, 700+ crowd, introduction by Maureen O'Hara.  All those things---plus the stunning scenery, the gorgeous musical score, and the beauty of the story itself---worked their magic on me, and I found myself absolutely loving this film (and even liking John Wayne).  Without question, it is a 5-star film for me---making 8 such discoveries already this year, 2 of which are Maureen O'Hara films.  It's been only 4 days since I saw it, and I find myself with an intense longing to watch it again.



Winner of two Academy Awards (Best Director and Best Cinematography, Color) and nominated for five others (including Best Picture), The Quiet Man was filmed on location in Ireland.  Directed by John Ford, the film stars John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, and Barry Fitzgerald, with Victor McLaglen, Ward Bond, and Midred Natwick among the supporting players.  Although a romantic drama, there are enough lighthearted, comical moments that the film could be considered a dramedy.



Sean Thornton (John Wayne), an ex-boxer with a past so tragic he has vowed to never fight again, has returned to his native Innisfree, Ireland, after many years of living in America. Desiring to live simply and quietly in the house in which he was born, he approaches the current owner, widow Tillane (Mildred Natwick), about the possibility of her selling.  Although "Red" Will Danaher (Victor McLaglen) had already made an offer for the property, the widow chooses to sell to Thornton instead, which, naturally, causes strife between the two men. Thus, when Sean desires to court Danaher's sister, Mary Kate (Maureen O'Hara), he is forbidden to do so.  While in America it might be acceptable for a young woman to be courted without the consent of her father or brother, in Ireland it is not, so Mary Kate and Sean are unable to pursue a relationship.



With the help of the local matchmaker (Barry Fitzgerald, in a wonderful, memorable performance) and the local preacher and priest, Will is tricked into consenting to a courtship between his sister and Sean, and the two are soon married.  However, when Will discovers he has been set up, he furiously denies Mary Kate her dowry, which while not bothering Sean, greatly upsets his bride. She demands that he obtain her full dowry from her brother, even if it means fighting him to do so. How it all plays out is the balance of the film.



Everything about The Quiet Man is perfect.  The scenery is spectacular---if I didn't already want to visit Ireland, I certain do after viewing this film.   The Academy Award-winning color cinematography captures the country's beauty completely. Maureen O'Hara is simply stunning, and she is terrific in this role.  She's fiery, feisty, and incredibly passionate, and her chemistry with John Wayne is magical---it's easy to see why they were such a successful team. John Wayne (who, as noted, I don't ordinarily care for) is wonderful in his role.  He brings Sean Thornton beautifully to life. I quite love his character---in love with the woman, not the money she will bring into the marriage. Of course, having been living in America and now unused to Irish customs, he has a bit of learning to do. All of the supporting players are wonderful too; I especially love Barry Fitzgerald and Ward Bond.  Finally, the Victor Young score is gorgeous and greatly adds to the charm of the film. The story is incredibly romantic and passionate---sensual even---and all without being trashy.  (If you doubt a film without a bit of nudity or gratuitous sex can be sensual, this scene will change your mind.)

                                                                image source

While The Quiet Man is not going to topple A Place in the Sun from its place as my favorite film of the 1950's, it's not far off.  Definitely, it's in my top 10---probably even my top 6 of the entire 1950's---and in my top 25 of all time.  It's a complete gem of a film, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  (I only wish you could all catch it on the "big screen" of a beautiful historic theatre, like I did.)

Out on DVD, The Quiet Man should be fairly easy to track down; it would make a great film for St. Patrick's Day viewing . . . if you can wait that long!  (I can't, so even if I do make it my annual St. Patrick's Day movie, I'll be watching it again long before then.)

Happy viewing!


NOTE:  Unless otherwise noted, all photos were obtained from Doctor Macro (HERE)