Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Born Yesterday (5 stars)

Born Yesterday, from 1950, is a comedy/drama starring the totally delightful Judy Holliday, William Holden, and Broderick Crawford.  (To be quite honest, Broderick Crawford actually gets second billing...but given that William Holden is my all-time favorite actor, I am giving HIM second billing.)  This movie deals with some very heavy subjects....government corruption, abuse towards women, lack of education....but because it does so in a sometimes comedic way, it doesn't come across as preachy. 


Judy Holliday is Billie Dawn, a rather ditzy former chorus girl who is now the "dumb blonde" girlfriend of corrupt businessman, Harry Brock (played brilliantly by Broderick Crawford).  Billie is fairly uneducated ("stupid" by her own admission) and does whatever Harry tells her to do, never questioning anything.  For that reason, it works to Harry's advantage to have Billie as one of his corporate officers.

Harry and Billie arrive in Washington D.C., where Harry intends to lobby a congressman for some legislation that will benefit his business; however, while meeting with said congressman and his wife, Harry realizes that Billie's lack of refinement and education will probably hurt his business aspirations.  So, at his lawyer's suggestion, he asks reporter Paul Verrall (William Holden) to "learn Billie some things."  Paul, who is disgusted by Harry's boorish behavior, eagerly accepts the job and is soon showing Billie around Washington D.C. and giving her history and civics lessons in the process.  In time, Billie blossoms under Paul's tutelage and begins to see Harry for what he really is.  She begins to question what Harry tells her to do...which doesn't sit well with Harry at all.




I won't reveal more than this.  Suffice to say that watching Billie's metamorphosis is totally delightful.  And that the incredibly handsome Bill Holden is there to help in the process just adds to the delight for me.  Judy Holliday is wonderful in this role.  While I have seen all but one of Judy's movies and REALLY like several of them, Born Yesterday is easily my favorite.  She actually won the Best Actress Academy Award for her performance.  (1950 was an amazing year, and the Academy had an extremely tough decision for actress that year.)  I must admit, the first time I saw this movie (which was my first Judy Holliday experience), I cringed when I heard her VERY strong New York accent.  But I've come to love the accent AND her.  She's a total sweetheart.

As an aside, I want to mention that Born Yesterday was on Broadway back in the 40's, with Judy Holliday in the lead.  So, both on the stage and on the screen, she has given life to Billie Dawn.  AND hear this...later this month (March 31st, I believe) Born Yesterday will be opening on Broadway again.  I'm not sure who will be playing the Judy Holliday/William Holden roles, but Broderick Crawford's role will be played by Jim Belushi (in his Broadway debut). Should be fantastic!!!  And guess what....my daughter and I are planning a trip to New York City in early June.  Seeing Born Yesterday on Broadway is definitely on our must-do list.  However, I must say that I have already been warned by my daughter that I absolutely CANNOT whine about the fact that there's another actor and not dreamboat Holden playing Paul Verrall.  Oh, boy, can I do that?  Not whine about another man taking Holden's role, I mean?  I doubt it...but I AM excited to see this beloved story on the stage.  (ADDENDUM:  We ended up not taking that trip after all, so we didn't have the opportunity to attend the Broadway show.)

Anyhow, if you haven't ever seen Born Yesterday, I highly recommend it.  It is a totally wonderful movie, and if you've never before seen Judy Holliday, start here with her Academy Award winning performance.  You'll love her.  This movie is out on DVD and should be very easy to track down.  Add to that, Turner Classic Movies has it on their March and April schedules.

Happy viewing to all!!