Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (4 stars)


The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, starring the incredibly beautiful Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison, and George Sanders, is a 1947 film that doesn't fit neatly into any genre, in my opinion.  It's part romance, part drama, part fantasy, and based on the final ten minutes, which left a lump in my throat the size of a golf ball, it's also part tearjerker.  Whatever you want to call it...it is enjoyable and lovely...and a definite must-see.

Lucy Muir (Gene Tierney) is a widow with a young daughter (played by a very young Natalie Wood), who decides to move out from her mother-in-law's home in order to take a home of her own.  She chooses a quaint little cottage by the sea (the movie is set in England).  Only problem is...the cottage has a reputation of being haunted by the ghost of the sea captain that formerly lived there.  Despite the fact that the real estate agent tries to steer her elsewhere, Lucy is determined to call the haunted cottage home.

Not long after she arrives, Lucy meets the ghost of Captain Daniel Gregg (Rex Harrison), and the two soon develop a very deep and abiding friendship.  Eventually, though, a living man enters Lucy's life, and she is forced to choose between that man and Daniel.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is very sweet, and like I said, I had a huge lump in my throat and was lightly weeping through the final minutes of the movie.  I'm not much of a Rex Harrison fan, but I discovered that I didn't have to be to enjoy this.  I hope y'all get a chance to see it...it's out on DVD and should be readily available (I borrowed it from my local library).

Happy viewing!!