Monday, August 15, 2011

Submarine Command (2 stars)

Hard as it is to believe, I DO occasionally give William Holden films less than 4 and 5 stars.  Sometimes, as in the case of Submarine Command, I actually give the film only 2 stars.  Of course, it kills me to do that, but sometimes, even Holden's gorgeousness can't turn the movie into a winner for me, and rather than just blindly giving a thumbs-up to all of his films, I put my "objective hat" on and give it the "didn't like it" rating.




From 1951, Submarine Command pairs Holden with Nancy Olson, who starred opposite him in three other films.  Don Taylor and William Bendix co-star in this post World War II/early Korean War film.  The movie begins in mid-August, 1945, just before the end of the Japanese portion of the war.  The submarine Tiger Shark is out in the Pacific, where its commander and another man are attempting a lifeboat rescue of a downed airman, having left Ken White (William Holden) in command during their absence.  Before the men are able to make it back to the sub, there is a Japanese air strike, and White is forced to take the sub down...leaving the men behind to die, an action which causes him to incur the wrath of one of his crew.

Though the war is soon over, Ken's war has just begun.  Besides incurring the resentment of one of his crewmen, who believed Ken should have stopped the dive and returned for their captain, Ken has his own doubts about his actions.  And when, a few years later, as a career Navy man he needs to show a reporter around the Tiger Shark, Ken's demons resurface, causing him to be angry and difficult.  As his wife, Carol, tells him, he's at war with his job, himself, and her.

With his marriage in shambles, Ken is on the verge of leaving the Navy, when North Korean activity begins to build.  The Tiger Shark is called back into action, with Ken in command...and the crew member who detests him part of his team.  Is there any hope for Ken to overcome his demons?  To save his marriage?  To gain the respect of a man who hates him?

Though I love William Holden and think he was very good in this role (not to mention fabulously good-looking!), this movie just didn't do it for me.  For one thing, I thought there was zero chemistry between him and Nancy Olson.  While I think they had great chemistry in Sunset Boulevard, I didn't find their love believeable here in Submarine Command.  As a result, I just didn't even care about their marriage.  I could have cared less if they got back together or not.  And Don Taylor's character was pointless to me.  He added nothing to the storyline, and I think he was wasted in the film.

Also, though it wasn't called by that name, I believe Ken was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and the message of the movie was that he could overcome its effects by sheer will and determination.  I think the film missed a great opportunity to enlighten the audience about a very real disorder that has affected so many veterans.

Of course, as a William Holden fanatic, I HAD to see this film.  After all, I want to see every one of his films if possible.  So, I'm glad I watched this one...I'm just sad that I didn't enjoy it.  If you are a major Holden fan, or if you like sub movies, you will probably want to see this one.  I would be interested to hear what you think of it.

By the way, I watched this through Net Flix instant viewing.  I don't think it's out on DVD, but TCM does air it periodically.  Happy viewing!!