Wednesday, November 02, 2011

30 Years This Month



Thirty years ago this month, the gorgeous face above departed this life.  Yes, November, 1981, saw the fabulous and incredibly handsome William Holden passing away.  I've discovered some conflicting information as to the exact date of his death; some sites list it as November 12th, others list it as November 16th.  What I do know for sure is that he died in his home, the result of hitting his head in a fall. 

As my way of remembering my all-time favorite actor on the 30th anniversary of his death, I will be watching plenty of Holden films this month...as if I need an excuse to do that, right?  Some of the films I intend to watch are:

1.  Rachel and the Stranger---sweet film which also stars Loretta Young and Robert Mitchum

2.  Bridge on the River Kwai---I think Mr. Holden's performance in this film was every bit as stellar as those of Alec Guinness and Sessue Hayakawa, so I'm not sure why he didn't receive an Academy Award nomination and they did.

3.  Sabrina---such an adorable romantic comedy.  Yes, it's more Humphrey Bogart's film than Bill Holden's, but I totally love him in this.

4.  Toward the Unknown---a film I've never seen before.  TCM has it on their schedule on November 12th.

5.  Father Is a Bachelor---sweet little film where my #1 guy plays paternal

6.  Picnic---ah, that dance scene he shares with Kim Novak is to die for!

7.  Stalag 17---his Academy Award winning role.  I've seen this film at least a dozen times, but it never gets old.  I love it!

8.  21 Hours at Munich---available through Net Flix instant viewing, this is a film I've never seen before.  NF reviews on this are mixed, so I'm not sure what to expect.  Have any of y'all ever seen it?  If so, what did you think of it?

Thirty years gone, but thankfully, through all these wonderful films, William Holden lives on!!