Thursday, December 08, 2011

Classic Films I Just Don't Get

We all walk to the beat of our own drum on occasion, and my recent From Here to Eternity post really reminded me of that.  One of my friends said in her comment that while most everyone else seems to love From Here to Eternity, that film just doesn't do it for her.  She's seen it once...and that's enough...she never has to see it again.  My 21-year old daughter is in that same camp...she thinks From Here to Eternity is highly over-rated, and she really doesn't care if she ever watches it again.

My daughter's and my friend's comments got me to thinking.  There are plenty of classic films that most everyone else seems to love that just don't do it for me, movies that definitely have me feeling like a "lone ranger," since I'm about the only person on the planet who doesn't like them.  In most cases, I will 2-star those films, but a few of them, I will actually 1-star.  Just for kicks, I thought I would share a few of my "don't like it even if everyone else does" movies with all of you.



Rear Window---I am probably the only person in the world that doesn't like this movie.  Awhile back, I waded through over 200 Net Flix reviews, and I found only one person who gave less than 4 stars to this film (they gave 3)...most people gave it 5 stars.  I do love Thelma Ritter here and, of course, the beautiful Grace Kelly, but that's it.  I don't like the idea of a Peeping Tom being a hero; my son tells me it's the "neighborhood watch" program in action, but, still, I just don't like this one and give it 2 stars.



The Maltese Falcon---Yes, I know this is one of Humphrey Bogart's most iconic roles, but I just could not get into this movie.  I tried it twice, and both times, I found it confusing and difficult to follow.  Plus, I didn't much care for any of the characters.  I'll be generous and go 2 stars on this one.




His Girl Friday---Comedy is not my genre of choice anyway, but I totally hate this movie...the mile-a-minute dialogue was a real turn-off.  One of my 1-star films.



The Thin Man---While Myrna Loy is easily among my top 7 favorite actresses, and while I adore her and William Powell together and think they had amazing chemistry, I don't like this series at all.  I'll be honest, I've only seen three of the films, and I haven't enjoyed any of them.  I kept trying another one, hoping I would get into it, but, alas, after three 2-star (for me) movies, I've decided that The Thin Man is not for me.  I know, I'm one of the few people in the classic movie community who does not like this series. 




On the Waterfront---Yes, I know, this won the Best Picture Academy Award for 1954...Marlon Brando won for Best Actor, and Eva Marie Saint won for Best Supporting Actress, but it didn't work for me, perhaps in part because I'm not a Brando fan.  I'll go with 2 stars on this one.





The African Queen---Another of my 1-star movies.  I absolutely cannot stand this film; additionally, I find it hard to believe that Humphrey Bogart won an Academy Award for his role in it.  (Especially considering that one of his competitors was Montgomery Clift for A Place in the Sun.)  I think Bogey had many wonderful performances, but, for me, this was not one of them.  I know, I know, I'm walking to the beat of my own drum here.  

So what about y'all?  Are there some classic films that everyone else seems to love but which you absolutely cannot get into?  Films that make you feel like the "odd man out" because you seem to be the only one on the entire planet who doesn't like them?  I'd love to know what's on your list.  Please share some of your "can't stand it even if everyone else loves it" movies with me...even if they happen to be some of the movies that are near and dear to my heart.  You won't hurt my feelings by thinking differently than I do...after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so we all aren't going to like (or dislike) the same things.

Happy viewing!!