Monday, December 26, 2011

Film Finds of 2011

As I look back over my log of films watched this year, many 5-star movies are on the list.  However, most of those are favorite films that I just enjoy watching over and over again.  There were, though, five new-to-me movies which I added to my 5-star list this year, and I consider them my Film Finds of 2011.  



Middle of the Night---This is a touching romantic drama starring Fredric March and Kim Novak.  It explores the romantic relationship of a middle-aged man and a much younger woman.  The movie is extremely moving, and the acting of both leads is sensational.  Actually, though it's not quite my favorite Fredric March film (The Best Years of Our Lives is), I do think Middle of the Night may be his best performance ever.   (Reviewed HERE)




About Mrs. Leslie---A deeply moving film, this one stars Robert Ryan and Shirley Booth.  It's the story of Vivian Keeler, who falls in love with the unhappily married George Leslie.  This movie is a sobber for me, and as a mega-huge Robert Ryan fan, I love the opportunity to see him shine in a kindly, sympathetic role for a change  (Reviewed HERE)




Ten North Frederick---Starring Gary Cooper and Suzy Parker, this is another moving, sob-inducing romantic drama.  Like Middle of the Night, it explores the May-December romance theme.  One viewing of this movie and Mr. Deeds Goes to Town was toppled from its status as my favorite Gary Cooper film.  (reviewed HERE)




Inferno---A Robert Ryan film I've been yearning to see all year, Inferno finally made its way into my hands about two weeks ago.  After a woman and her lover leave her injured husband (Ryan) to die in a remote desert area, the husband attempts to not only survive, but to make his way back to civilization. (Reviewed HERE)





The King's Speech---Yes, I do, on occasion, watch current movies.  This Academy Award-winning film is totally spectacular.  And Colin Firth, who took home the Best Actor Oscar for his performance, was nothing short of brilliant in his role.


Most of the movies I watch garner 3 or 4 stars---3-star films are those which I enjoyed and found interesting, though I don't necessarily have to watch them again.  4-star films are those which I really enjoyed and definitely want to see again.  5-star films are more difficult to come by (for me).  What makes a film a 5-star film for me?  It's a combination of three things...incredible acting, a deeply moving story which touches my heart and/or brings me to tears, and a powerful or bold dramatic story which I just can't get out of my mind.  (For me, comedy, while entertaining, rarely touches my heart...that's why there are few comedies among my favorite movies.)  Usually, all three of those things have to be working together for me to call a particular film a 5-star film.

Anyhow, while I always enjoy watching my tried-and-true favorite movies over and over again, I also love discovering new 5-star movies.  With a few dozen classic films on my "hoping to track down" list, I am counting on a few of them being 5-star discoveries in the coming year.  What about y'all?  Did 2011 find you discovering any new "totally love it" 5-star films?  I'd love to hear about them if you did.

Happy viewing!!