Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy Birthday, Cary Grant!!!



Today is the 108th birthday of one of the world's most beloved actors---the incredibly dashing and distinguished Cary Grant.  (January 18, 1904-November 29, 1986)

Born in England with the name Archibald Leach, Cary Grant is one of the most iconic names there has ever been.  Even those who do not profess to know much about classic films know who he is. This beloved actor is firmly entrenched on my all-time favorite actor list.  I totally adore him.

My absolute favorite of Mr. Grant's films is Penny Serenade, the beautiful 1941 tearjerker for which he received an Academy Award nomination.  In this lovely film, Cary teams up with Irene Dunne and plays paternal, a role at which I think he excelled. (Reviewed HERE)

Rounding out my five favorite Cary Grant films are:

2.  An Affair to Remember  (with Deborah Kerr---reviewed HERE)

3.  Room for One More  (with then-wife Betsy Drake---reviewed HERE)

4.  In Name Only  (with Carole Lombard)

5.  Notorious (with Ingrid Bergman)

It was nearly impossible to stop with five films; truly, I could have listed another half dozen which I love, but I am forcing myself to list only five.  (Two of those five films are in my top 20 favorite films of all-time!!)  However, I realize these are all dramas and that Cary was quite the comedic actor as well.  Since I far and away prefer drama to comedy, his dramatic films are, obviously, my favorites, but in the name of being fair, I will list a few of his comedies which I adore.

1.  The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer  (with Myrna Loy and Shirley Temple)

2.  Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House  (with Myrna Loy)

3.  Father Goose (with Leslie Caron)

So, Mr. Cary Grant, here's to you on your 108th birthday!  You were a wonderful actor and a gallant gentleman, and you will always be one of my absolute favorites.  Thanks for making so many beautiful movies!!