Thursday, March 01, 2012

On the Blogging Agenda for March

A new month is upon us, and with the new month, comes a new focus for me and for this blog.  While February saw me writing about other stars, the ones who saw the most action here at They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To were the birthday folks---Clark Gable, Ida Lupino, and Lana Turner.  It used to be that I celebrated my favorite stars by watching one of their films on their birthday; however, I decided to celebrate all month long by watching several of their films and doing so all throughout the month.  I wrote about many---but not all--of those films.  I liked doing that and have decided to continue that practice.

Only three of my faves are March babies---John Garfield





George Brent






and Joan Crawford




I will be overloading on their films this month...and writing about them too.  While I'll be re-watching my tried-and-true favorites, I also hope to discover some great "new to me" films.

Also on the blogging agenda for March is Montgomery Clift, another of my huge faves.  Actually, Monty comes in at #4 on my fave list...just a wee bit behind the "beloveds" (William Holden, Robert Ryan, and Gary Cooper).





Comet over Hollywood is hosting a "Gone Too Soon" blogathon---a lovely tribute to those wonderful stars who left this world much too soon.  My contribution to that event will be in honor of the fabulous Mr. Clift.  While I've already reviewed many of his films, for this blogathon, I'll be reviewing another couple, plus sharing a bit about this troubled man's life.

Finally, I have added someone new to my top 20 list, and I will be watching and writing about his films too.  That man is Van Heflin.





 Mr. Heflin's addition to my top 20 list is, quite honestly, something I never in a million years would have expected, for when I first encountered him, I thought him very milque-toasty.  I'm not entirely sure why I felt that way, because that film was 3:10 to Yuma, and his character in that movie (Dan Evans) was quite brave and courageous...no less so than High Noon's Will Kane, who is one of my all-time favorite film characters.  I suppose it was playing opposite Glenn Ford that did Van Heflin in for me.  Since that time, though, I have watched several of Mr. Heflin's films, and I have come to really like him; in fact, when I see his name among a cast, I generally choose to watch that movie.  Therefore, difficult as it was to remove Joel McCrea from my top 20 list, I had to do so in order to make room for Van.

So, it'll be mostly John, George, Monty, Joan, and Van this month here at They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To.   I hope you'll join me and perhaps discover a film or two (or three or four) that you absolutely must see.