Sunday, June 10, 2012

Back from Eternity (4 stars)

Back from Eternity, from 1956, is a suspenseful drama starring Robert Ryan, Rod Steiger, and Anita Ekberg.  Directed by John Farrow, this film is a remake of Farrow's 1939 film Five Came Back.  Taking on supporting roles here are, among others, Gene Barry, Beulah Bondi, Jesse White, Keith Andes, and Fred Clark.  As I have enough fear of flying, I don't often watch plane crash films, so for that reason, I've never seen the original.  I will watch this one solely for my beloved Robert Ryan, and since I was in desperate need of a "Ryan fix," I decided to pop this on the other night; thankfully, my daughter and I have both recently returned from our vacations, so I won't have visions of Back from Eternity in my mind to cause me any anxiety.



The story revolves around three crew members and nine passengers aboard a U.S.-to-South America airplane, which, due to inclement weather, is forced to crash land in the middle of the Amazon jungle.  While the plane is repairable, repairing it will take time, but because the local cannibalistic tribe is on the warpath, time is a luxury not available to the stranded people.  Even after the plane is repaired, due to the damage incurred in the landing, its occupancy limit will be five people.  The others will have to remain in the jungle, where the natives are moving in for the kill. Among those on board are:



Pilot Bill Larnegan (Robert Ryan)---a widower whose grief has brought him into some downtimes, he now has a penchant for drink.



Prostitute Rena (Anita Ekberg), who, without legitimate transport papers, is on her way to a new establishment in South America.



Co-pilot Joe Brooks (Keith Andes)--Flying with Larnegan for the first time, he has taken an interest in one of the passengers.



Jud Ellis (Gene Barry), an arrogant, unkind man who seems to find fault with everyone and everything.  He is traveling with his fiance, Louise (Phyllis Kirk).



Professor and Mrs. Spangler (Cameron Prud'Homme and Beulah Bondi)---a loving couple who have been married 42 years.



Pete (Jesse White), a mobster traveling with the young son (Jon Provost) of his boss.



Vasquel (Rod Steiger), a condemned murderer, on his way to his execution, in the company of Crimp (Fred Clark)

How will these men and women survive for days in the jungle?  Which five of them will make the flight back home?  These are the questions which will play out in the remainder of the film.



This is a very interesting, thought-provoking film, with good performances by all.  (Of course, my beloved Robert Ryan couldn't give anything but a good---or great---performance).  I have to admit, though...the film's ending greatly unsettles me.  While I wholeheartedly believe that "there is no greater love than giving one's life for another," I felt the film very subtly projected the message that certain elements of the population are expendable, and I completely disagree with that.  Whereas in the days of "women and children first" (which I completely believe in), that was due to the code of chivalry, to the belief that the stronger were to protect the weaker.  In this film, though, it isn't about protecting the weaker; rather, it's about certain people groups being more worthy of saving than others.  (Can't say more without giving away who is left behind.)  One thing is for sure...I would never want to be put in the position of having to choose which people live and which ones die!

Back from Eternity is definitely a very solid 4-star film, which I highly recommend.  While it's not out on DVD nor currently on the TCM schedule, TCM does show it fairly regularly. You could probably catch it there before the end of the year.  (NOTE:  Two of my commenters have made me aware that this film has recently been released on DVD.  HERE is the link to where you may obtain it.)

Happy viewing!!