Thursday, June 21, 2012

Happy Birthday, Judy Holliday!!


Happy 91st birthday to one of my top 10 favorite actresses---the lovely and talented Judy Holliday (June 21, 1921-June 7, 1965).

Born Judith Ann Tuvim, this delightful lady first found success on the stage.  Her first major role was in Born Yesterday, a role which she would reprise in film in 1950 and which would garner her a Best Actress Academy Award.  In addition to an Academy Award, Miss Holliday also won a Tony Award for her work in Bells Are Ringing.

My first experience with Judy was in Born Yesterday---a film which I obtained solely because of my love for William Holden.  I had never even heard of Judy before that.  To my surprise, I not only enjoyed her...I loved her.  What's more, her character in Born Yesterday---Billie Dawn---became one of my three all-time favorite female film characters.  Judy's portrayal of Billie (which The Academy deemed Oscar worthy) was completely delightful.  (Actually, "delightful" is THE adjective which comes to mind when describing the lovely Judy.)

Sadly, Miss Holliday succumbed to cancer at a very young age...just two weeks before her 44th birthday.  She left behind a son...and a handful of wonderful films.

My all-time favorite Judy Holliday film is that first one I ever watched---Born Yesterday (reviewed HERE).  I can't get enough of Billie Dawn and her amazing transformation from a dumb blonde, ex-chorus girl to an intelligent, "don't try to pull the wool over my eyes" woman of culture.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that William Holden was there to assist Billie in her transformation.  In addition to William Holden, Broderick Crawford also stars in this film.




Rounding out my list of five favorite Judy Holliday films are:

2.  Bells Are Ringing  (with Dean Martin---reviewed HERE)



3.  It Should Happen to You  (with Jack Lemmon and Peter Lawford)


4.  Full of Life (with Richard Conte)



5.  The Solid Gold Cadillac (with Paul Douglas)



So, Miss Judy Holliday, I am remembering you on your 91st birthday.  I'm sad that you departed this world at such a young age, but I love that you left us with your completely delightful presence through your wonderful films.

(For more information about Judy, visit the Judy Holliday Resource Center HERE.)