Monday, July 16, 2012

Happy Birthday, Barbara Stanwyck!!

Today is the 105th birthday of my #3 gal---the sensational Miss Barbara Stanwyck.  (July 16, 1907-January 20, 1990)



Born Ruby Stevens, the four-time Oscar-nominated Miss Stanwyck, had an amazing career which spanned six decades.  She very successfully made the transition from film to television and was appearing in a series only a few years before her 1990 death.  She is easily my #3 gal, and sometimes, she even pushes #2 gal Susan Hayward out of that spot and claims #2 for herself.  Without question, Miss Stanwyck is one of my absolute favorite actresses, and I never tire of watching her films.



My all-time favorite Barbara Stanwyck film is Stella Dallas (reviewed HERE).  One of my top 15 movies of all-time, this heart-tugging tearjerker was said to have been Miss Stanywck's own personal favorite.  As Stella, her task "was to convince audiences that Stella's instincts were fine and noble even though, on the surface, she was loud, flamboyant, and a bit vulgar."  I must say, she definitely convinced me of that, because I see Stella as a woman of sacrifice, not selfishness.

Rounding out my list of five favorite Barbara Stanwyck films are:

2.  Double Indemnity  (with Fred MacMurray)


3.  Ball of Fire  (with Gary Cooper)



4.  Christmas in Connecticut  (with Dennis Morgan)



5.  Clash by Night  (with Robert Ryan and Paul Douglas---reviewed HERE)


So, here's to you, Miss Barbara Stanwyck, on your 105th birthday.  You were an amazingly talented actress, and you will always be one of my absolute favorites.  Thanks for making so many wonderful movies and TV shows.