Friday, July 20, 2012

She Aged Beautifully!!

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, one of my favorite TV shows was The Big Valley.  It used to be on in the afternoons, around 3:30 or 4:00, so many an afternoon, when I got home from school, I would grab the stereotypical plate of cookies and glass of milk and settle in to watch it.  I'm pretty much thinking I was watching re-runs, because to my recollection, this was happening in the early 70's, and the show ended in 1969 after a 4-season run.  At that time, my draw to The Big Valley was Lee Majors.



When I got into classic films, imagine my surprise to discover that Miss Barbara Stanwyck, who I had known as Victoria Barkley since childhood, was a famous actress with a long and distinguished movie career.  At the time I was watching The Big Valley, I thought that was her only claim to fame.  While I didn't ever hate Miss Stanwyck or her character, as I said, my reason for watching the show was Lee Majors.  I was completely wild about him.

Now, though, I still love The Big Valley; in fact, I would deem it one of my six all-time favorite TV shows.  I don't watch TV shows nowadays except for reality TV shows like The Amazing Race and Chopped, and while I enjoy them, they really don't hold a candle to old-time TV for me, so it is absolutely no lie that The Big Valley is one of my six favorite TV shows.  (The others would be Little House on the Prairie, The Fugitive, The Andy Griffith Show, Streets of San Francisco, and Perry Mason.)  One of the main draws for me now is my beloved Miss Stanwyck.  Besides showcasing her wonderful dramatic abilities, The Big Valley showcases the beauty and grace with which Miss Stanwyck aged.  In her early 60's here, she looks sensational.



About two years ago, I discovered that the first season and the first half of the second sesaon of The Big Valley had been released on DVD.  I immediately purchased them, and have enjoyed watching every single one of the episodes.  Sadly, though, no further episodes have come out...not the remainder of the second season, nor any future seasons.  Recently, however, I discovered a network called The Inspiration Network (INSP), which is part of my dish program, and it airs an episode of The Big Valley every weekday.  So, I am adding to my collection.

So for any of you who are fans of The Big Valley, see if your cable/dish package includes The Inspiration Network.  Even if "the powers that be" won't release the entire Big Valley series on disc, through that network, you will still be able to catch that great show.

Happy viewing!!