Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Favorite Movies---1930's List

As I disclosed last week, I have been making changes to my favorite actor, actress, and movie lists.  I revealed the guys last week and will be doing the gals next week.  This week, I'll be revealing my favorite movies.  I'll first be breaking them down by decade, and after I've done that, I'll let you know what my favorite movie of all time is.

For the 1930's, 4 C's come away as my favorites---that would be Capra, Claudette, Clark, and Cagney.  (There's also Cary, Carole, and Cooper, as they each have a film on my list, but the first 4 C's have two films each on the list.)  Beginning at number 10, here are my 10 favorite films of the glorious 30's.

10.  The Public Enemy



Even now, some 80 years after its release, this is the quintessential gangster film.  Who could ever forget the grapefruit scene or Tom Powers' final arrival at his mother's door.  (Reviewed HERE)

9.    In Name Only



A beautiful, touching romantic drama starring Cary Grant and Carole Lombard in their only pairing.  (Reviewed HERE)


8.   A Star Is Born



A total tearjerker, starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March in Academy Award-nominated performances.  (Reviewed HERE)


7.   Stella Dallas


Starring Barbara Stanwyck, in an Oscar-nominated role, John Boles, and Anne Shirley, this tearjerker is one of the movies I watch every Mother's Day weekend.  (Reviewed HERE)

6.   Dark Victory


Beautiful, touching tearjerker starring Bette Davis and frequent co-star George Brent.  (Reviewed HERE)


5.   Imitation of Life




Another of the movies I always watch Mother's Day weekend, Imitation of Life is a touching tearjerker starring Claudette Colbert and Louise Beavers.  (Reviewed HERE)


4.   Angels with Dirty Faces



My favorite James Cagney film...was Rocky yellow?  Or did he pretend to be yellow to satisfy Father Jerry?  The viewer must make his or her own decision on that.

3.   It Happened One Night


Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable shine brightly in this adorable Frank Capra romantic comedy.  (Reviewed HERE)

2.   Mr. Deeds Goes to Town



Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur star in this lovely Frank Capra dramedy.  The kindhearted, trusting, firetruck-loving, tuba playing Longfellow Deeds is one of my favorite film characters.  (Reviewed HERE)

and my absolute favorite film of the 1930's...

1.   Gone with the Wind



An absolute iconic film, Gone with the Wind is not only my favorite movie of the 1930's, but it is the film which introduced me to three of my favorite stars---Vivien Leigh, Olivia deHavilland, and Clark Gable.

Some other beloved 1930's films which barely missed making the top 10 list:  Make Way for Tomorrow, Manhattan Melodrama, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Stay tuned for the 1940's.