Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Happy Birthday, Montgomery Clift!!

Happy 92nd birthday to one of my dearly loved all-time favorite actors...the incredibly talented, positively beautiful Montgomery Clift.  (October 17, 1920 - July 23, 1966)


Back in March, I took part in a blogging event which paid homage to stars who left us too soon (before the age of 50), and Mr. Clift was the star I chose to honor.  It is my most-read blog post and the one of which I am the most proud.  I feel that if Monty was able to read that post, he would feel honored and loved.  I am not going to restate here all that I wrote on that post, but I'd love to have you read my from-the-heart tribute.  (HERE)

Mr. Clift has the honor of having 2 of his films and one of his film characters on my #1 lists.  First, as recently disclosed, A Place in the Sun is my all-time favorite movie.  I truly believe that film to be Monty's finest hour...in a career which offered many finest hours.



Also, I Confess happens to be my all-time favorite Alfred Hitchcock film; plus, Clift's character in I Confess---Father Michael Logan---is right up there with Will Kane (High Noon) and Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) as my favorite film character.


Sadly, Mr. Clift's tragic life ended much too soon, and his film career is only 17 films.  I have seen 14 of them, and while I definitely hope to catch the other 3, there is a bittersweetness to doing so.  Yes, I will have watched the entire filmography of this extremely talented and very beloved actor, but once I've seen those 3, I'm done.  There will never be another Monty Clift film to discover, and that is a very sad thought indeed.

So, here's to you, Mr. Montgomery Clift, on your 92nd birthday.  You were a completely fantastic actor who always gave a brilliant performance.  I completely adore you and will always count you among my beloveds and all-time favorite actors.