Thursday, January 03, 2013

2012's Most-Visited Post and Other Highlights

Many of the classic film blogs I read are beginning the new year by taking a look back at their most popular posts of 2012.  That seemed like a worthwhile thing to do, so I am jumping on board and doing my own looking back.

One of the highlights of this blog's 2012 calendar was the recognition of "birthday stars of the month."  Beginning in February and continuing through August, I chose to focus on two or three different stars in their birthday month.  (That goal was a bit too lofty, so this year, each month will see only one star being the focus.)  2012 looked like this:

February---Clark Gable, Lana Turner, and Ida Lupino
March---John Garfield, Joan Crawford, and George Brent
April---William Holden and Bette Davis
May---Gary Cooper and Tyrone Power
June---Susan Hayward, Eleanor Parker, and Judy Holliday
July---Barbara Stanwyck and James Cagney
August---Robert Taylor and Fredric March

After August, life conspired to keep me from writing as much as I wanted, so I abandoned the "stars of the month" idea and, instead, revealed my 10 favorite films from each of four classic-era decades (30's - 60's).  Gone with the Wind, Now, Voyager, A Place in the Sun, and Madame X were the #1 films in their respective decades, with A Place in the Sun being crowned my current all-time favorite movie.



November saw a tribute to one of my beloveds---the very under-rated Robert Ryan (HERE); December saw the revelation of my 5-star film discoveries of the year (HERE).

Another highlight of the year was taking part in Classic Movie Man's Dana Andrews blogathon and Comet over Hollywood's "Gone Too Soon" blogathon.  With nearly 3,000 views, the heart-felt Montgomery Clift tribute I wrote for the "Gone Too Soon" event is far and away They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To's most-read post.  Its closest competitor has slightly less than 1,000 page views, so I think it is safe to say that this piece (HERE) will probably always be my most-read article.



Not only is this post my most-viewed, it is also the one of which I am most proud.  Written as a labor of love to pay homage to one of my beloveds, this article is filled with photos, information about several of Mr. Clift's films, and tidbits about his tragic life. I feel that if Monty was able to read my humble tribute, he would feel honored and loved.

In short, it was a fun blogging year; I trust everyone enjoyed the reading as much as I enjoyed the writing.  I am looking forward to this coming year and to showing, once again, that "they just don't make 'em like they used to!"