Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Showcasing Stewart Granger

The month of May brings one more centennial birthday observance to They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To.  Stewart Granger is another of those 1913 babies, and it is he who will be taking center stage this month.



Though late 2006 saw me beginning my addiction to classic films, Stewart Granger was one of those actors who did not cross my radar until just a little over two years ago.  In fact, to be honest, I had never heard his name or seen his face until spring 2011, when I was finishing up my quest to see every film on Grace Kelly's filmography.  Green Fire was one of the remaining two films I needed to see, so when I noticed it on the TCM schedule, I immediately programmed my DVR, despite not having a clue who co-star Stewart Granger was.  I found the film somewhat boring and his character fairly annoying, so I didn't come away from that film enamored of him and wanting to see more of his work.  However, at least at that point I knew who Stewart Granger was...plus, I did find the man himself (not his character) to be rather appealing.

Several months later, I happened upon a few more of Mr. Granger's films, including The Prisoner of Zenda, which I found completely captivating.  I began seeking out more of his works, and as I did so, he made his way onto my favorite actor list, where he firmly occupies a place in the 20-25 section, in the company of such men as Joel McCrea, Van Heflin, Audie Murphy, Richard Widmark, and Claude Rains.

Although I'll also be reviewing films of others, as well as a couple baseball films I didn't get to in April, Mr. Granger will be seeing the lion's share of the action here in May, as I celebrate his centennial year.  I hope you'll join me in the celebration.