Monday, June 17, 2013

Whispering Smith (1961)

As a child of the 1960's, I grew up on TV Westerns---Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Big Valley, The Rifleman, Wagon Train, Death Valley Days, and The Virginian were all part of the fabric of my growing-up years.  Even though several of those shows were a bit before I was old enough to understand TV, through re-runs, the shows caught up with me.  And even if I never watched an episode of a particular show, because my Western-lovin' dad did, I had at least heard of it.  So imagine my surprise to discover, through my search of Audie Murphy's filmography, that he, too, starred in a TV Western---1961's short-lived (26 episodes filmed/20 aired) Whispering Smith. No one in my life had ever mentioned this show, so it wasn't until a few short months ago that I learned of its existence.




Based on the 1948 Alan Ladd film of the same name, the story---set in the 1870's---is about a Denver police detective named Tom "Whispering" Smith.  (The nickname "Whispering" is due to Smith's soft-spoken demeanor---talk about a perfect role for Audie!)  With lawlessness going gangbusters in the West at that time, Detective Smith has more than his share of crimes to solve and criminals to apprehend, and he does so with the help of his partner, George Romack (Guy Mitchell).



Having discovered the existence of Whispering Smith, I immediately popped on over to Amazon, where I found the 3-disc, 26-episode series available for $11.99 (the price has increased slightly since then).  Despite having never seen a single episode of the show to know whether or not I'd like it, I quickly added it to my cart, grabbed a book or two, then made my way to the check-out.  When my package arrived three or four days later, I hastily opened it and then popped the first disc into the player. Yes, I was in need of an Audie fix, but even more, I wanted to see this show I had never heard of.  My verdict?  A big, 4-star thumbs-up!



Because the series lasted for only 1 season---giving me a mere 26 episodes to enjoy---I don't want to race my way through it.  I want to savor it...make it last as long as possible.  (I feel similarly about Audie's filmography; while I want to catch every film he made, there's a sadness in doing so, since there will never be any more.  When I'm done, I'm done.)  Thus, as of now, I've only watched 6 episodes of the series, but I have "really liked" every single one.



Each 30-minute episode is interesting and fast-moving and features a couple of guest stars---Robert Redford, Gloria Talbot, Harry Carey, Jr., and Richard Chamberlain are some of the notable ones I've seen so far.



Oh, just have to say, episode #5 ("Safety Valve") features a short swordfight scene between Audie and one of the guest stars.  After my recent month of Stewart Granger viewing, I have come to very much appreciate swashbucklers, and it was loads of fun seeing Audie taking on that role.




Without question, I heartily recommend this series.  For me, it's a great, 4-star way to get an Audie fix when I don't have time for a whole movie...or when my family is rebelling and demanding we watch someone other than Audie for a change!



NOTE:  All photos used in this article are from the Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website  (HERE)

For more information about the production history of Whispering Smith, check out this article at the Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website (HERE)