Monday, July 01, 2013

Happy Birthday, Olivia deHavilland

Happy 97th birthday to one of my top-10 favorite actresses AND one of the few stars of the Golden Era who is still alive---the lovely and talented Olivia deHavilland!  (July 1, 1916)



The two-time Academy Award-winning Miss deHavilland began her career in a stage production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.  So impressed was director Max Reinhardt with Olivia's performance, that he offered her the same role in the film version of the story, which he was also to direct. Soon thereafter, she was signed to a contract with Warners, paired with Errol Flynn, and the rest, as they say, is history.  I must admit, I haven't seen a single one of the pair's eight collaborations; however, this month of Olivia will change that!




As of now, my all-time favorite Olivia deHavilland film is Gone with the Wind, a film for which she received a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award nomination.  With as beloved as GWTW is to me, I can't imagine it will ever be toppled from the #1 position.  However, it is not my favorite of her roles.

Rounding out my list of 5 favorite Olivia deHavilland films are:

2.  The Snake Pit  (with Mark Stevens and Leo Genn)



3.  The Heiress  (with Montgomery Clift and Ralph Richardson---reviewed HERE)



4.  To Each His Own  (with Mary Anderson, Roland Culver, and John Lund)



5.  Not As a Stranger  (with Robert Mitchum and Frank Sinatra---reviewed HERE)



Given my new appreciation for both Westerns and swashbucklers, this top-5 list may very well change by the end of the month.  I'll weigh-in then, as well as reveal my readers' favorite deHavilland film.  (Be sure to take part in the poll on my sidebar.)



So, here's to you, Miss Olivia deHavilland on your 97th birthday.  You will always be one of my top-10 favorite actresses. Thanks so much for making so many wonderful films, including the very beloved Gone with the Wind.  I hope you are enjoying good health and are surrounded by family and friends as you celebrate another year of life!!