Saturday, August 17, 2013

Happy Birthday, Maureen O'Hara!

Happy 93rd birthday to one of my top-20 favorite actresses---the lovely, talented, Miss Maureen O'Hara (August 17, 1920).  This beautiful lady is not only still alive, but she's in remarkably good health and will even be making a public appearance on her birthday---and I will be among those helping her celebrate.



Born Maureen FitzSimons in a suburb of Dublin, Ireland, the beautiful Miss O'Hara has a film and television career spanning six decades.  After being "discovered" in London by Charles Laughton, and hand-picked by him to star opposite him in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, she made the move to Hollywood, where she worked with a variety of big-name directors and leading men.

                                                                  image source

Miss O'Hara came into my life many years ago through The Parent Trap, which I watched as a child and then as an adult with my own young children.  Little did I know back in the 1960's or even in the 1990's that this lovely lady was destined to become one of my all-time favorite actresses.  I find her completely delightful in every role she's taken on; plus, she's so incredibly beautiful that it's breathtaking to look upon her. With several "new to me" O'Hara films on my must-watch list this month, I may find that my current fave will be displaced.  I'll weigh-in at the end of the month, with my blog readers' favorite O'Hara film as well as my own.

I'll be helping this gorgeous gal celebrate her birthday today by taking part in the "bash" she is throwing here in her new city of residence, Boise, Idaho.  With big screen showings of three of Miss O'Hara's films---The Quiet Man, The Black Swan, and How Green Was My Valley---on my agenda for the day, I'm sure to have a stupendous Saturday. The birthday girl herself will be introducing The Quiet Man, and not only am I thrilled to have an opportunity to see her (and those three films), I'm excited to be part of an event which will benefit a cause near and dear to the lovely redhead's heart---the prevention of elder abuse.

                                                                 image source

So, Miss Maureen O'Hara, happy 93rd birthday to you!!  I'm thrilled that you are in good health and surrounded by family and friends as you celebrate another year of life.  What a joy it is to be among those sharing in your special day at Boise's Egyptian Theatre. You will always be one of my very favorite actresses, and I thank you for bringing so much enjoyment to my life through your many wonderful films!


NOTE:  For more information about this lovely lady's life and career, visit the Maureen O'Hara Magazine, "the only site on the internet endorsed by Miss O'Hara herself." (HERE).