Monday, September 30, 2013

Recapping Claudette Colbert Month



Wow, the months are flying by at an alarming pace.  It seems like September began only yesterday, and now here it is, the middle of the afternoon on the 30th.  I enjoyed having Claudette Colbert as my star of the month, and while I didn't review (or even watch) as many of her films as I had originally intended, it was still a good month.  I enjoyed re-watches of some tried and true faves, plus I discovered some terrific "new to me" films.  Here's how everything panned out.



Over 75% of my readers (76%), count It Happened One Night as their favorite Colbert film. I am not at all surprised by that.  After all, it's Claudette's Academy Award-winning role, not to mention a best picture winner.  I figured it would probably be the most popular of all her films. In the far distant second place, with 12% of the vote, is Since You Went Away; Drums Along the Mohawk took third place, with 8%; and The Egg and I got a single vote to take fourth place, with 4% of the vote.  Garnering zero votes in the poll were Cleopatra and Imitation of Life.



No votes for Imitation of Life?  Say it isn't so!  I love that film, and I count it as my favorite of Miss Colbert's films.  It Happened One Night, however, is very beloved to me as well, and it can sometimes be my favorite of her films---if I am in a comedy mood that is.  Most of the time, though, Imitation of Life (reviewed HERE) takes the top position, with It Happened One Night (reviewed HERE) in second place.


Rounding out my list of 5 favorite Claudette Colbert films are:

3.  Tomorrow Is Forever  (1946---reviewed HERE)  Also starring George Brent and Orson Welles, this very touching war-time drama always brings me to tears.  After learning that husband Orson Welles has been killed in WWI, Claudette marries George Brent and raises a family.  Alas, Orson wasn't really killed, and he re-enters Claudette's life.  A definite sobber for me.



4.  Three Came Home  (1950)  Also starring Patric Knowles and Sessue Hayakawa, this WWII-era drama tells the story of American author Agnes Keith, who, along with her husband and young son, was living on a South Pacific island when the Japanese Army invaded.  Agnes and her son were sent to one prison camp, while her husband was sent to another.  An inspiring story, revealing the fortitude of the human spirit.

                                                                   image source

5.  Remember the Day  (1941---reviewed HERE)  Also starring John Payne, this touching, sentimental film was one of my "discoveries" this month.  After only one viewing, it went immediately to my "5 favorites" list.  The film features Claudette as a schoolteacher reminiscing about one of her former students on the eve of his hoped-for presidential nomination.


                                                                   image source

Thanks to everyone who joined me this month in celebration of Claudette.  Beginning tomorrow, Montgomery Clift will be moving front and center.


NOTE:  Unless otherwise noted, all photos were obtained from Doctor Macro (HERE)