Sunday, September 01, 2013

September Means Claudette...and a Few Other Things



The classy, elegant Claudette Colbert begins her reign today as They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To's star of the month.  This lovely lady provided one of my earliest introductions to classic films---through It Happened One Night---and I've counted her among my top 20 favorite actresses since that very first viewing.  Two of her films---It Happened One Night and Imitation of Life---are among my 10 favorites of the 1930's and among my 25 all-time favorites. I look forward to highlighting this lovely lady, and I extend a hearty welcome to her.

Additionally, September will find me participating in two exciting events---the Gish Sisters blogathon hosted by Movies Silently and The Motion Pictures and the Journalism in Classic Film blogathon hosted by Comet Over Hollywood and Lindsay's Movie Musings.  Additionally, I'll be re-capping Maureen O'Hara month, revealing my readers' favorite O'Hara film, as well as my own top 5.  (I had written such a piece yesterday, but, somehow, someway, minutes before I intended to publish, I lost every single word through a flukey Blogger glitch. With my day's calendar already quite full, I wasn't able to reconstruct the article at the time, so I'll be getting at it this first week of September.)

It should be a busy, exciting month, and I look forward to having y'all along for the ride.  Please be sure to weigh-in with your favorite Colbert film by taking part in the poll on my sidebar.  I realize, of course, that since it's not feasible to include Claudette's entire filmography in the poll, your real favorite (perhaps The Palm Beach Story or So Proudly We Hail) may not be listed.  I tried to include a cross-section of genre, leading men, and era with the voting choices.