Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Reflecting on a Week of Losses

Wow, what a week it's been.  Four (!!) classic film greats departing this life in the same week.  I can't remember a week in which we have lost so many.  The ranks of Classic Hollywood are thinning out rapidly, and it makes me very sad.  Just like they don't make films like they used to, they don't make stars like they used to either.  Yesteryear's stars exuded glamour, elegance, and style in a way stars of today do not---with class and grace.  We will not see their likes again.

The first loss of the week was Eleanor Parker.



My #4 gal (behind only Bette Davis, Susan Hayward, and Barbara Stanwyck in my heart), Eleanor is very beloved to me.  When my daughter told me of her passing (since I am largely offline these days and hadn't seen anything about it), I couldn't help weeping.  In memory of her, I chose to watch one of her films that evening, and since there is a Santa Claus scene in Never Say Goodbye, I'll be watching that one as part of my Christmas movie viewing this week.


Following closely on the heels of Miss Parker's death was that of Audrey Totter.


It was through a Classic Hollywood posting on Facebook that I learned of Miss Totter's passing, and my first thought was, "Oh, no, not another one."  In recent years, it seems that 2 or 3 stars (but not 4!) have often passed around the same time. Audrey was fantastic at portraying the icy femme fatale of the 1940's noirs, but she could lean to a softer side as well, as evidenced in my favorite of her films---The Set-Up.

Only days after Audrey's death,  Peter O'Toole passed away.



I am not overly familiar with Mr. O'Toole's works, but there are several of his films I've been wanting to see---especially Lawrence of Arabia and The Lion in Winter.

Barely had the news of Mr. O'Toole's death crossed my path, when I learned (again from my daughter) that Joan Fontaine had died.



This one, again, hit me very hard.  Miss Fontaine is one of my top-15 favorite actresses, and I had fully intended to have her as a star of the month this year.  She was to have been October's star; however, for a variety of reasons, I changed my schedule in September, then ended up taking a blog break before October was out.  Now, I am kicking myself for that decision.  Oh, sure, I can highlight Joan some month next year, but I would much prefer having honored her while she was yet alive (as I did her sister Olivia in July).  My favorite of Miss Fontaine's films is Rebecca.  I think her performance in that film was Oscar-worthy---even better than her Academy Award-winning performance in Suspicion.

So, as we bid goodbye to four beloved stars, I am reminded of my favorite George Eliot quote, "Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them."  Thanks to so many great films which have been preserved for us, we will never forget you Eleanor, Audrey, Peter, and Joan.

And in the words of Clark Gable, "Death is something none of us can avoid.  I suppose it's pointless to worry about it.  Just live your life how you want and hope somebody remembers you fondly."  (From Dear Mr. Gable's Facebook page)

We do remember you fondly, dear friends.  May you all rest in peace.

NOTE:  All photos were obtained from Doctor Macro (HERE)