Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Classic Film Christmas Gift



Classic Film Santa---in the form of my daughter---gave me this wonderful book for Christmas. It highlights 50 films from Hollywood's most glorious year---1939.  (For me, 1937 is neck-and-neck with 1939 as my favorite film year.)  While I've seen several of the titles highlighted in the book (including beloved favorites Gone with the Wind and Dark Victory), many more I've never seen (The Women and Of Mice and Men to name just two), and there are even a few films I've never heard of (such as Hollywood Cavalcade and Confessions of a Nazi Spy).

One of my film goals for 2014 is to watch all 50 films highlighted in this book.  No, I won't be reviewing them all, but I hope to review at least twelve of them---one per month.

What about y'all?  What is your favorite year for films?  And what is your favorite of the 1939 releases?