Monday, March 31, 2014

March's "New to Me" Viewings (Part 1)

This past month, I was back in my classic-film-viewing groove.  After not watching many classics in February, it was a real thrill to have enjoyed one at least four nights each week this month.  I was able to catch many "new to me" films, nine of which were 3-star or higher.



1.  Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde  (1931)  Truth be told, I started this film well over a year ago; however, at somewhere around the 20-minute mark, the disc glitched and I was unable to finish. I forgot all about watching it until I saw it on the TCM schedule during 31 Days of Oscar.  So, I'm calling this a "new to me" film; however, it isn't totally.  The classic story of the good Dr. Jekyll and his alter-ego, the evil Mr. Hyde, this film is amazing.  The transformation scenes (from Jekyll to Hyde) are absolutely terrific---hard to believe this is a 1931 film.  Fredric March's performance is outstanding, very definitely Oscar worthy.  I'm going with 4 stars on this, but that's because this is not my genre.  I don't do horror at all, and while this may be considered mild horror to some people, I have to admit that it frightened me.  In fact, after getting out of bed around 2:00 a.m. on the night I had watched it, I nearly ran back to my bedroom (and the safety of my husband) because the memory of Mr. Hyde came to mind while alone downstairs.  So, though, 4 stars from me, if I liked horror, I'm sure this would be a 5-star film.

2.  Tenth Avenue Angel (1948) Starring Margaret O'Brien, Angela Lansbury, George Murphy, and Phyllis Thaxter, this is a sweet, sentimental, heart-tugger about a little girl's faith in God and her family. When she learns that the fantasy stories her mom has been telling her are just stories and not truth, and when she discovers that a beloved family friend has been in prison and not on an extended trip as she had been told, the little girl's heart is hardened and her faith in God and her family grows cold.  How she gets it back and brings love to those around her plays out in the remainder of this very touching film.  (I was brought to tears on several occasions).  The climax of the film takes place on Christmas Eve, making this a delightful addition to one's Christmastime viewing.  I'm going with 3 stars on this, but it's close to 4.



3.  Whirlpool  (1934)  Starring Jack Holt, Jean Arthur, and Donald Cook.   Petty crook Duke Ralston receives a 20-year prison sentence for manslaughter.  Wanting his pregnant wife, Helen, to get on with her life, he forges a letter from the warden, informing her that Duke had been drowned in an attempted prison escape.  Sometime after giving birth to Duke's daughter, Sandra (Jean Arthur, when grown), Helen marries a successful lawyer.  Years later, Sandra happens upon Duke, recognizing him at once from the photo her mother has.  Father and daughter are reunited, but for a variety of reasons, the future for them is bleak.  An interesting, exciting, 3-star film.



4.  The Hook  (1963)  Starring Kirk Douglas, Robert Walker, and Nick Adams, this meaty drama tells the story of three U.S. soldiers who are ordered to execute their Korean prisoner in the waning days of the Korean War.  (I reviewed this 4-star film HERE)



5.  Pushover  (1954)  This Double Indemnity-style noir stars Fred MacMurray and introduces Kim Novak, with Phil Carey, Dorothy Malone, and E.G. Marshall offering support. Directed by Richard Quine, Pushover finds the usually-affable Fred MacMurray, once again, pulled from the straight and narrow due to his attraction to a beautiful woman.  This time, rather than an insurance agent, he's a cop, assigned to follow the girlfriend of a gangster who just pulled a huge heist.  Fred's passion for the moll, coupled with his desire to fill his own pockets with the stolen funds, are his undoing.  I'm between 3 and 4 stars on this, so I'm calling it 3.5.


Later this week, I will share four more "new to me" films I watched in March, one of which joins I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang as a 5-star film discovery of the year.