Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Film Finds of 2013

In 2013, I watched many 5-star films.  Most of them were repeat viewings of tried and true faves, and while I always enjoy watching a beloved favorite, I also love discovering "new to me" 5-star, "love it" films.  I came upon eight such films this year, seven of which, I have reviewed. I had intended to showcase the other one during Montgomery Clift's stint as "star of the month;" however, blog burnout prevented me from doing so.  I will try to get at that one sometime in the new year.

Here are my 5-star film "discoveries" for 2013.

1.  Edge of the City  (reviewed HERE)---Starring John Cassavetes and Sidney Poitier, this 1957 racially-charged drama is one I caught during Mr. Poitier's reign as star of the month.  I am always completely and totally impressed by the performance Mr. Poitier gives.



2.  To Sir, with Love (reviewed HERE)---Another fabulously-acted drama discovered during Sidney Poitier month, this film features a beautiful, incredibly touching theme song.  The song, coupled with the sentimentality of the film, took this one from 4 to 5 stars for me.



3.  A Raisin in the Sun  (reviewed HERE)---A meaty, powerful, emotionally-charged racial drama, this film features some of the most incredible acting I have ever seen.  All the leads are spectacular---and Oscar worthy.  I truly believe Mr. Poitier's performance here is even more brilliant than in his Oscar-winning role in Lilies of the Field.



4.  The Red Badge of Courage (reviewed HERE)---Discovered during Audie Murphy month, this film is one I almost failed to watch, simply because I don't care for the novel upon which it is based.  Directed by John Huston, this Civil War drama sees Audie giving perhaps the very best performance of his career.



5.  The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone  (reviewed HERE)---Not a Tennessee Williams fan nor a Warren Beatty fan, I very nearly didn't watch this film.  It was only my desire to see Vivien Leigh's entire filmography which caused me to DVR it when TCM aired it in February.  The acting is stellar (even Mr. Beatty's!), the photography is beautiful, the score is spectacular, and the ending scene is powerful and haunting.  All those things combine to make this a 5-star film experience for me.



6.  Wild River---Starring Montgomery Clift and Lee Remick, this Elia Kazan film is meaty, hard-hitting, and very thought-provoking.  Not a feel-good story at all, it focuses on the Tennessee Valley Authority's need to remove long-time residents from their homes, in order to build a dam which will benefit thousands.  In support is Jo Van Fleet, and it is her amazing performance which takes this one into the 5-star category.  In her mid-40's here, yet playing a woman of 80+, she is positively brilliant.



7.  The Hunchback of Notre Dame  (reviewed HERE)---Discovered during Maureen O'Hara's month, this film is nothing short of spectacular.  A lavish production of Victor Hugo's classic, the film sees Charles Laughton giving what I think may well be the performance of his career.  The man is completely amazing!  The film also features hard-hitting drama, incredible costume design, a gorgeous Maureen O'Hara, and a very young Edmond O'Brien.



8.  The Quiet Man  (reviewed HERE)---Not a John Wayne fan, I have been putting this film off for years.  I decided to see it simply because it was being shown at the Egyptian Theatre as part of Maureen O'Hara's 93rd birthday bash, and it was going to be introduced by Miss O'Hara herself. Wow, what a spectacular first-time viewing experience it was---the big screen of a beautiful vintage theatre, a 700+ crowd, an introduction by the lovely Miss O'Hara; plus, the stunning scenery, the gorgeous musical score, and the beauty of the story itself.  What more could a person ask for?!



What makes a film a 5-star film for me?  It's a combination of three things...incredible acting, a deeply moving story which touches my heart and/or brings me to tears, and a powerful or bold dramatic story which I just can't get out of my mind.  (For me, comedy, while entertaining, rarely touches my heart...that's why there are few comedies among my favorite movies.)  Usually, all three of those things have to be working together for me to call a particular film a 5-star film.

So there you have my 5-star film discoveries for 2013.  What about y'all?  What 5-star film discoveries did you make this year?

Happy viewing!!