Sunday, January 01, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dana Andrews!!


New Year's Day is the birthday of one of my top-20 favorite actors---the always-solid Dana Andrews. (January 1, 1909 - December 17, 1992)

Born Carver Dana Andrews, this fabulous-voiced actor, hovers between 12 and 16 on my all-time favorite actor list.  While I enjoy many of Andrews' films, my absolute favorite is, without question, The Best Years of Our Lives, in which he portrayed airman Fred Derry.  (Reviewed HERE)



Rounding out my five favorite Dana Andrews films are:

2.  Laura (with Gene Tierney)

3.  My Foolish Heart (with Susan Hayward...reviewed HERE)

4.  Crash Dive (with Tyrone Power and Anne Baxter)

5.  The Purple Heart (with Farley Granger and Richard Conte)

For me, Dana Andrews has one of the most fabulous voices I have ever heard.  Add to that, he's ruggedly handsome, and he always gave a strong, solid performance---all of which combine to make him one of my favorite, must-watch actors.  His is one of those names which almost always draws me in, for when I see his name as part of a cast, you can bet I'm going to give that film a try.

So, happy 103rd birthday, Dana Andrews!  You were one of the best and will always be one of my top 20 favorite actors!!