Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Top-10 Garfield Films

What a great month it's been celebrating the 100th birthday of the sensational (and beloved to me!) John Garfield.  To close out the month, I thought I would provide a list of my 10 favorite Garfield films.  Last March, I listed my 5 favorites; however, since that time, I have discovered a couple of "new to me" films (one which occupies #1 status), plus I have enjoyed a re-watch of other tried and true favorites, so things have changed position a bit.  All 10 films are either 5-star "love its" or 4-star "really like its;" there are a few other films I really like and deem 4 stars, but which missed being part of the top 10 list.


1.  The Breaking Point  (1950---reviewed HERE)  Besides the fact that I really love this story and the way John Garfield brought his character to life, my favorite thing about this movie is the rare opportunity to see Garfield romantically playful with wife Phyllis Thaxter and lovingly paternal with his two little daughters.




2.  The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946---reviewed HERE)  John Garfield and co-star Lana Turner are both incredibly gorgeous at this point in their careers, and the chemistry between them is undeniable in this film.  They smoke and sizzle in their illicit love affair.



3.  Pride of the Marines  (1945---reviewed HERE)  This is the first Garfield film I ever saw, so it will always have the distinction of being the film which opened my eyes to the man's brilliant acting ability.  Plus, it pairs him with my #4 gal, Eleanor Parker.



4.  Dust Be My Destiny  (1939---reviewed HERE)  In a 30's movie, it's rare for a man to make the first move after an argument with his wife, but it happens here...and not just any man, but the rough-and-tumble John Garfield.  I found that to be very touching.




5.  Body and Soul  (1947---reviewed HERE)  This boxing noir is the film for which Mr. Garfield garnered his only Lead Actor Academy Award nomination.  He's sensational here, and the film's message is powerful.




6.  Humoresque  (1946---reviewed HERE)  My favorite thing about this film...hands-down, the music.  It's absolutely beautiful!  Ever the professional, Mr. Garfield learned to play the violin for this role.  Although it was Isaac Stern's music that was heard, Garfield took violin lessons so that he would have proper mastery of the fingering for the cameras.  Besides the beautiful musical score, there's Joan Crawford, smoldering passion, and loads of melodrama.  Chick flick anyone?



7.  Gentleman's Agreement  (1947)  I deem this film to be probably the most important of John Garfield's entire career.  While he's really a supporting player, in my opinion, Mr. Garfield stole the show from its star, Gregory Peck, and he did it in this scene.




8.  Saturday's Children  (1940---reviewed HERE) As boyfriend, then husband, to Anne Shirley, this film provides a fun opportunity to catch John Garfield in a romantic role.  The chemistry between the two is terrific, as is the chemistry between Miss Shirley and father, Claude Rains.

This lovely still is from a scene cut from the film.


9.  He Ran All the Way  (1951---reviewed HERE)  This is Mr. Garfield's final screen role, and for that reason, watching this film is bittersweet.  While he gives a terrific performance, the knowledge that it was his last film and that the ugliness of HUAC was about to destroy him makes this film quite heartbreaking.



10. Daughters Courageous  (1939)   I love the chemistry between Garfield and Claude Rains in this film.  They're like two little boys, playing off each other over and over again.  The two men had a very good professional relationship, and never is that better evidenced than Daughters Courageous.


Anyone looking for an introduction to the films of John Garfield can't go wrong by starting with one of these ten titles.  Any and all of them will showcase the man's amazing talent and whet the appetite to see more of his work!