Friday, May 31, 2013

After a Month of Stewart Granger Viewing...

The month of May found me being incredibly faithful to Stewart Granger.  While I did enjoy the occasional film of another---including a "new to me" Gary Cooper flick---far and away, Stewart Granger's films have been the only ones I have watched for the past 30 days.  I've re-watched old favorites, discovered some new faves, and, in the case of King Solomon's Mines, developed an appreciation for a film I didn't like the first time I saw it.

In all, I've watched (or attempted to watch) 20 Granger films in the past month.  (Sadly, time precluded me from reviewing all of them.) While the very top of my "favorite Granger films" list hasn't changed in the 3 weeks since the birthday post where they were unveiled, the lower half has; therefore, to cap off the centennial birthday celebration month, I thought I would provide a list of how I rank all the Stewart Granger films I've seen.  




5 star films:

1.  The Prisoner of Zenda  (reviewed HERE)


4 star films:

2.  Moonfleet  (almost 5 stars---reviewed HERE)
3.  Scaramouche
4.  Saraband for Dead Lovers  (reviewed HERE)
5.  Salome (I called this 3 stars in my review, but it's very close to 4---reviewed HERE)

3 star films:  (in about this order)

All the Brothers Were Valiant  (reviewed HERE)
King Solomon’s Mines
Adam and Evalyne  (reviewed HERE)
Harry Black and the Tiger  (reviewed HERE)
Footsteps in the Fog  (reviewed HERE)
Blanche Fury  (reviewed HERE)
Love Story (aka A Lady Surrenders)  (reviewed HERE)
Swordsman of Siena


2 star films:  (made it through these, but was pretty bored)

Green Fire  (even with Grace Kelly as the co-star, this one didn't do it for me)
The Crooked Road  (this one also stars Robert Ryan, so it's shocking that I didn't like it)
The Wild North 


1 star films:  (didn't make it through any of these films)

Fanny by Gaslight
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Secret Invasion
Waterloo Road


There are many more of Mr. Granger's films on my "want to watch" list, including these titles: Bhowani Junction (which TCM will be airing in June), The Whole Truth (on the TCM schedule for July 15th), The Secret Partner (have been unable to track down), North to Alaska (have had on hold at the library, but it hasn't come in yet), Madonna of the Seven Moons (available on YouTube, but I just haven't had time to watch it).  Even though Mr. Granger's centennial birthday celebration will be over, I'll post reviews of these films after I get around to watching them.

I hope you, my dear blog readers, have enjoyed the opportunity of getting to know Stewart Granger a bit more this past month.  I hope you've discovered some "must watch" films.