Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper!

Regular readers of They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To know that Gary Cooper is one of my great loves.  As one of my "terrific ten," he's right up there at the top of my favorite actor list. So, of course, I simply must acknowledge his 113th birthday.  (May 7, 1901 - May 13, 1961)

To celebrate, I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite photos of ol' Coop.

What a profile!!






The guy could sure wear a suit!



An older Coop---still looking very handsome.  Is it any wonder so many people of that generation (including all 4 of my grandparents) smoked?



Yes, Shirley, you surely have reason to smile!



So deep in thought...wonder what he's thinking about?



A man is not fully dressed without his hat.



Bow ties work for me too!



From You're in the Navy Now---How do you improve on Coop's fabulous good looks?  Put him in Naval dress blues!



From Souls at Sea---a film I've been yearning to see but have not yet tracked down.  Like Abandon Ship, which I reviewed for the Tyrone Power 100th birthday blogathon, this film is loosely based on the 1841 account of the William Brown.



From The Plainsman---a film I haven't seen in quite a few years.  I just love this photo.



From Bluebeard's Eighth Wife---a little too slapstick/screwball for my taste, but I love this photo



From Meet John Doe---Coop and Barbara Stanwyck had terrific chemistry in their 3 pairings



Gary Cooper was an incredibly handsome, wonderfully photogenic man, and I have dozens more favorite photos of him.  In fact, I could fill an album with favorite photos of Coop---but these dozen are among the cream of the crop, and they are my way of celebrating him on his special day.  I'll also be watching A Farewell to Arms and Ten North Frederick in the coming couple of days.


NOTE:  All photos obtained from Doctor Macro (HERE) and Golden Age of Hollywood (HERE)