Monday, May 05, 2014

Happy 100th Birthday, Tyrone Power

Happy 100th birthday to one of my top 10 favorite actors---one of my "terrific 10"---the tremendously under-rated, incredibly handsome Tyrone Power  (May 5, 1914 - November 15, 1958)



In some ways, my love affair with Tyrone Power began the day I was born.  Yes, it's true---Tyrone Power has occupied a special place in my heart for over five decades now, even before I ever saw one of his films.  That's because one of my grandfathers (who was 3 years Powers' senior) was always told he looked like Tyrone Power.  Even though Power had been dead since 1958, he was still very much in the hearts of my grandparents' generation in the 1960's, and people of that age regularly remarked on the resemblance between my grandfather and the movie star they loved. As I grew up, conversations about the resemblance inevitably took place around the dinner table, and those conversations took root in my memory.  When I watched my first Power film in 2007, I immediately saw the resemblance between him and my beloved Pap, and those long-ago dinnertime conversations were relived afresh.  So, for me, Tyrone Power and my precious grandfather are somewhat one and the same.  When I watch a Ty Power film, I actually think of my grandfather; similarly, when I look at a photo of my grandfather, Tyrone Power often comes to mind. So, is it any wonder that Power is among my 10 most beloved actors?



Capable in both comedic and dramatic roles, Mr. Power was an actor who never got the praise and recognition he deserved.  While he gave wonderful performances in many films, not a single Academy Award nomination ever came his way.  I think that is very sad...and a definite oversight on the part of the Academy.




In addition to excelling at both comedy and drama, Power was also quite adept in adventure and swashbuckling films...Blood and Sand, The Mark of ZorroPrince of Foxes, to name just a few.  Perhaps it was fitting that it was while doing just that, Mr. Power died.  While in Spain for the filming of Solomon and Sheba in 1958, Ty succumbed to a sudden heart attack in the midst of a dueling scene with George Sanders.  He died enroute to the hospital...an incredibly talented man gone far too soon at the age of 44.



Besides entertaining audiences with a wonderful variety of films, Mr. Power also faithfully served his country as a pilot in the Marine Corp.  He saw action in the South Pacific in the Second World War, taking part in "the air supply and evacuation of wounded from Iwo Jima to Okinawa."  The California State Military Museum has a page about Mr. Power's service in the Marines HERE.



My all-time favorite Ty Power film continues to be Witness for the Prosecution (reviewed HERE). Besides this being what I deem possibly the very best performance of Mr. Power's career, it is also his final completed film, as he would die while making his next movie.

Rounding out my list of five favorite Tyrone Power films are:

2.  Abandon Ship!  (with Mai Zetterling and Lloyd Nolan---reviewed HERE)



3.  The Eddy Duchin Story  (with Kim Novak---reviewed HERE)



4.  I'll Never Forget You  (with Ann Blyth---reviewed HERE)



5.  The Mark of Zorro  (with Linda Darnell and Basil Rathbone)





Quite honestly, Blood and Sand and The Long Gray Line could also occupy the #5 position.  I enjoy them both as much as I do Zorro.  I also have high hopes for Untamed, Power's second pairing with Susan Hayward.  A blog friend provided me with a copy of that film, and I'm hoping to watch it this week.



While I don't count it among my top-5 Power films, I just have to make mention of The Black Swan. As part of Maureen O'Hara's 93rd birthday bash last August, The Black Swan was shown on the big screen of Boise, Idaho's historic (and very beautiful) Egyptian Theatre.  (Miss O'Hara currently lives in Boise.)  As a Boise resident, I attended the event and was able to catch The Black Swan in this incredible environment.  I'm tellin' you, until you've seen Tyrone Power "up close and personal" on the big screen, you are missing out.  Truly, that is how he was meant to be seen!



There is a movement underway to bring about a Tyrone Power postage stamp.  HERE is the Facebook page for more information about how to help the dream become a reality.  I would definitely love to see Mr. Power honored with a postage stamp, and should that happen, I can assure you, it's the only stamp I will be using for as long as it is available.

So, Mr. Tyrone Power, here's to you on your 100th birthday. You were a wonderful, completely under-rated actor, and you will always be one of my favorites.  And, in the words of George Eliot, "Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them."  Since we have not forgotten you (nor will we ever!), you do, indeed, live on! Thanks for enriching my life with so many incredible films!!


NOTE:  This article is part of the Power-Mad, Tyrone Power 100th birthday blogathon being hosted by The Lady Eve's Reel Life and They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To. Go  HERE or HERE to check out all the other fantastic entries.