Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Favorite Movies---1960's (and beyond) list

My favorite films of the 1960's (and beyond) are mostly musicals and new 5-star film discoveries.  In fact, three of the the decade's faves are among my 5-star film discoveries of the year.  Two of the top 10 are musicals, with another musical in runner-up position.  I am including in this decade a 70's film as well.  Since I watch so few 60's and 70's films, it just makes sense to combine these decades.

10.  Charade




This Cary Grant/Audrey Hepburn whodunit film puts me in mind of a James Bond movie.  From the thoroughly modern (and very cool) opening credits to the twists and turns of the plotline, Charade ranks up there with every Bond film I've ever seen (all 3 of them!).   Cary Grant---who grew better-looking through the years---is in his early 60's here...and looking incredibly gorgeous.  The chemistry between him and the always-lovely Audrey is wonderful.

9.    Strangers When We Meet



The first of my 5-star film discoveries of the year, Strangers When We Meet is a beautiful romantic drama starring Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak.  A very passionate film featuring terrific acting and a beautiful score, it deals with extra-marital love.  (Reviewed HERE)


8.    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?



Bette Davis is out-of-this-world cruel to sister Joan Crawford in this "campy" drama.  One thing I love about Bette is that she was always more concerned with being a terrific actress than in being a glamour girl; therefore, she was willing to be ugly and grotesque if a role called for it...and in Baby Jane she is at her most grotesque.  


7.     Oliver!





My memories of this film go back over 40 years!!  I remember seeing this film at the movie theatre (near South Hills Village in my hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) with my grandparents, uncle, and brother.  I'm quite sure I developed a crush on Jack Wild (the Artful Dodger) from the very moment he appeared on screen.  My own kids more or less grew up on this movie, which has totally fantastic music.


6.    That Funny Feeling



One more of my 5-star film discoveries of the year, That Funny Feeling is an adorable romantic comedy starring the delightful real-life couple, Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin.    (Reviewed HERE)


5.    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner



Another of my 5-star film discoveries of the year, this bold (for its time) film tackles the issue of interracial marriage.  Starring Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn (in an Academy Award-winning performance), and Sidney Poitier, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner garnered 10 Academy Award nominations.  (Reviewed HERE)


4.    The Sound of Music



I grew up on this beautiful film!!  It has been a part of my life since its release in 1965.  I have practically the entire movie memorized, including every song.  Several scenes always get me misty-eyed.  


3.    To Kill a Mockingbird



Completely fantastic film, featuring one of my all-time favorite fictional characters---Atticus Finch.  A man concerned with doing the right thing no matter what others thought, Atticus offered true wisdom when he told his children that until you've walked around in a man's skin, you cannot see things from his perspective.  To me, those words mean don't judge others, for you know not how you would respond in a similar situation.

2.  Les Miserables



This 1978 made-for-TV movie, starring Richard Jordan and Anthony Perkins, is my favorite screen adaption of Victor Hugo's novel.  Though I've seen the 30's version (starring Fredric March) and the 50's version (with Michael Rennie in the lead), this 70's version is, easily, my favorite, and that is really saying something, since I generally prefer old to new and since Fredric March is among my top 10 actors.  Both Mr. Jordan and Mr. Perkins bring a life to their characters which I did not find in the earlier two films.  (Reviewed HERE)

and my favorite movie of the 1960's...

1.  Madame X



Lana Turner is one of my top 5 favorite actresses, and while I love many of her films,  Madame X is, without question, my absolute favorite.  This is not just a tearjerker for me...it is an absolute sobber, almost to the point that I can barely breathe.  I sometimes pop this movie in the player and then fast-forward to the final 30 minutes (the sobbing part), just so I can sob my heart out.  Strange, yes...but the absolute truth.  Lana's portrayal of the tragic Madame X is completely brilliant...her finest work in my opinion...very definitely worthy of an Academy Award nomination, which, unbelievably, she did not receive.  (Reviewed HERE)


Runner-up films are ShenandoahA Patch of Blue, True Grit, and My Fair Lady.

Next up...the revelation of my all-time favorite film.  And it may be a surprise to some, as the film which has been in the #3 position edged past #'s 1 and 2 this year.