Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Happy Birthday, Doris Day!!

Happy 89th birthday to one of my top-25 favorite actresses---the completely adorable and always-delightful Doris Day!!  (April 3, 1924)



Born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff, this lovely lady began her show business career as a singer, working with Bob Crosby's and Les Brown's bands.  Her first film role came in 1948, with Romance on the High Seas, and for the next several years after that, the majority of her films were musical comedies.  Doris was capable of much more than just lighthearted roles, though, as her career would bear out with such dramatic films as Love Me Or Leave Me and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

After ending her film career in the late 1960's, the sweet and perky Doris moved on to television. Her series The Doris Day Show ran for five seasons.  I remember watching it when I was a kid. Of course, I had no idea at the time that Miss Day had been a "movie star" before I saw her on TV.  Nor did I know that she would become one of my 25 all-time favorite actresses!




My all-time favorite Doris Day film is Pillow Talk (reviewed HERE).  One of the three films she made with Rock Hudson, this delightful romantic comedy is among my 25 favorite movies of all-time...despite the fact that I don't generally lean to comedy.

Rounding out my list of five favorite Doris Day films are:

2.  Send Me No Flowers  (with Rock Hudson---reviewed HERE)



3.  Love Me or Leave Me  (with James Cagney---reviewed HERE)



4.  Teacher's Pet  (with Clark Gable---reviewed HERE)



5.  Storm Warning  (with Ginger Rogers and Ronald Reagan---reviewed HERE)



So, Miss Doris Day, happy 89th birthday to you!!  I hope your birthday finds you in good health and surrounded by family and friends.  You will always be one of my top-25 favorite actresses. Thank you for bringing so much enjoyment to my life through so many wonderful movies!!